Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #1

Replace icebox with 3-way fridge?

We own a 1988 Jay 806 which we have decided to upgrade, rather than replace. One thing we're contemplating is replacing the icebox with a 3-way fridge. Wondering if anybody has done this? The trailer is snowed in and inaccessible right now, so I can't take measurements, but I'm considering the Dometic RM2193. (Dometic describes it as "Sized to replace a standard ice box) Assuming I can find a fridge to fit in the same space as the existing ice box, I have the skills to hook up the gas and electricity. My main question is in regard to the venting. I know I'll have to cut a hole in the side of the trailer for an exterior grille/access point. The big question (in my mind) is how the exhaust is isolated from the interior. Will I need to build an airtight "sleeve" for the entire fridge....sealed at the mounting flange in front, and open to the vents in the back? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Tommymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #2

A 12 Volt compressor refrigerator might be another option to consider. No propane plumbing to worry about and no need to cut a vent hole into the side of the camper. You would need a battery or shore power to run the unit.

Dometic, Norcold, Isotherm and others make such a unit.

Just giving you some (refrigerated) food for thought.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts deepsea5. All options are certainly on the table. Most of our favorite campgrounds do not have electrical hookups, and we don't have a battery installed, either. If I mounted a battery, and some solar panels, could it run a 12v fridge? And how noisy are they when operating?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #4

You will not hear the fridge operating . They run very quiet.
Red Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

A battery and solar charge system will run a refrigerator. System size depends on a lot of variables. Quite a few people are running 12 Volt compressor refrigerators off grid.
I've heard of some people replacing their RV ice box with a portable 12 volt compressor refrigerator. Some have even gone so far as to devise a drawer system for the refrigerator, installed where the ice box was previously located.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #6

Thanks for your thoughts on this. It seems to me that both the 12v compressor and 3-way absorption fridges each have their own costs and challenges. Is there any consensus as to which performs better?

We would prefer to mount the fridge in the same location as the current icebox. From rough measurements I made, the Dometic is an exact fit. Of course, I have to cut vent holes in the side of the camper, etc. I can't seem to locate a similarly configured 12v fridge with the same form factor. In fact, most are "coolers" that would simply store in the same location and, as you say, could be pulled out on a homemade drawer.

Whichever way I go, the savings in ice will never pay for itself. This is all about convenience.

I also notice that some 12v fridges are absorption type. Any thoughts on how these perform?