Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #1

Replacement Canvas

I have a 2010 Jayco 1206 that has some damage to the canvas up under the roof line. Looks like a mouse or two had a party. I have it in for a couple other repairs, and they quoted me $500CDN for the replacement canvas and $250 installation. Does this sound right? The price of the canvas seems fair, as it is a big piece. I am just wondering why $250 to install. Does it not just zip into the other piece and clip at the top? What am I missing?

They also mentioned that the canvas was 'neutral' and would not have the blue trim. He assured me it was a Jayco replacement part, and not aftermarket.

Just looking to see how big of a deal it is to install this myself.

Thanks
Mofonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

When we had a pop up we used Bearcreek Canvas and installed it ourselves. Just pay close attention to how it comes off. Of course installing it yourself may void any warranty that may come with a new canvas. Our PU was old.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

I concur

I also got my canvas from Bearcreek, and installed it myself. I thought it was time consuming but fairly easy. I replaced all the fasteners with stainless.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #4

Bearcreek, it’s better than factory and they have videos to help you get an idea how to do it.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

I too used Bearcreek canvas last summer to replace the canvas on my 1998 Jayco popup. The Bearcreek canvas has the windows cut differently than OEM, and I like them better.
Bobnrtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

$250 is about 2.5 hours of shop time (which, if it's like auto mechanics is completely unrelated to clock time). Would it take you more than that much time to re and re the canvas? Probably about the same. Is your time worth that much per hour if you can do it yourself? Probably not. So depending on how you value your time, it might be worth doing yourself.

OTOH you live in Gatineau, do you have a warm place to put up your top, or are you waiting until May to do this?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofonator View Post
I have a 2010 Jayco 1206 that has some damage to the canvas up under the roof line. Looks like a mouse or two had a party. I have it in for a couple other repairs, and they quoted me $500CDN for the replacement canvas and $250 installation. Does this sound right? The price of the canvas seems fair, as it is a big piece. I am just wondering why $250 to install. Does it not just zip into the other piece and clip at the top? What am I missing?

They also mentioned that the canvas was 'neutral' and would not have the blue trim. He assured me it was a Jayco replacement part, and not aftermarket.

Just looking to see how big of a deal it is to install this myself.

Thanks
Hi, what did you end up doing with this? Anyone know of any places in Canada that do this, particularly Manitoba?

Not in a hurry but the used 1007 we just bought has a few holes that have been patched...
Old 07-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #8

I ended up getting it repaired at a canvas shop. Cost me $150. He also did a couple small screen repairs. It turned out well over all.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
I ended up getting it repaired at a canvas shop. Cost me $150. He also did a couple small screen repairs. It turned out well over all.
Really! What exactly is a "canvas shop"? I'd love to find someone like that for some screen and canvas repair
AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #10

I am in the Ottawa area, but this is the place that I took mine to.

https://houseofcanvas.com/

He also replaced a couple of the zippers that attach the pieces together. Did a great job. There must be places like this in other cities, I think?
Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
I am in the Ottawa area, but this is the place that I took mine to.

https://houseofcanvas.com/

He also replaced a couple of the zippers that attach the pieces together. Did a great job. There must be places like this in other cities, I think?
Must be! Did you have to take the canvas off the trailer? Or bring the whole trailer in? How daunting of a job was the canvas removal and reinstallation, if you did it?
AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #12

I took off the end piece and brought it in. It was about 6 screws and a couple zippers. It really isn't a bad job to do.

If you find a place, call them. I am sure they are used to dealing with campers. My guys knew exactly what I wanted and how to fix it without making the piece too hard to reinstall.