Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Restoring '99 Heritage Laurel

My Heritage Laurel that I bought new in 99 began turning into a science experiment every winter about 8 years ago. Then the mice got it. So I haven't used it in the last 2 years (Haven't towed it it in 5). The wife and I now have a '11 Ford Expedition that can tow it so we're refurbing it.

Brakes/Tires: I've pulled the brakes/drums and am doing the bearings/seals and getting new tires. The master cylinder is SHOT so that's getting replaced too along with some brake line. I've got a vacuum bleeder to flush with new fluid.

Exterior: The exterior is a horror show. Lichen on the roof, etc. I've scrubbed about half of the roof back to gleaming white, but still have a lot to go.

Interior: Will be ordering new canvas & curtains. Making new mattress covers, etc.

Electrical: Need new batteries too.
Here's a pic of my front storage trunk.
This was from better days.
I've order new exterior LED replacements for the little 168/194 size bulbs and the 3157 tail lights.
JimmyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!

Sounds like a fairly work intensive project. It will be all worth it, though, the first camping trip you take in it once it's all back in good working order.

Good luck!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
It will be all worth it, though, the first camping trip you take in it once it's all back in good working order.

Good luck!
Yup. That's what I keep telling myself. I have a daughter that's young enough that she doesn't remember the trips we were able to take. It'll all be new for her.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #4

I just got some prices on Trojan T-105s. The difference in the cost between the T-105s and the T-125s is more than the cost of upgrading all my interior lights to LEDs ($38)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #5

go to know someone who has one.i bought mine in 2005 and really enjoy it.is your battery in the storage compartment? mine is in front of the gas tanks.do you have the cover that's goes on the tanks to hide them?does your have a showers in your.i would love seeing pictures of the inside and out if you can.
rtmaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

I thank that its the biggest pop up jayco made.i wish thay still made one that big.im in the middle of replacing the conter top on the left as you go into the door.i have the plywood cut and the counter top on top of the gas heater I cant figure out how to get that top off.i wander if you knew?thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Interesting post. Will never do it myself, but neat to see. Thanks.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

The cabinet just inside the door on the left was a mouse maternity ward and bathroom. I have to remove it. They don't make bleach strong enough to get the funk out of it. Big batteries (Deka 9C12s, 12V, 225AH each, total 450AH) are inside the compartment. Small battery (group 24) on the tongue. The Dekas were 130lbs each. But I could boondock for week while being wreckless with power usage.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

thanks for the info.what about the top cabnet just behind the pull out.the gas heating unit is under the cabnet.do you know how it comes out.thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

I have no idea. I don't need to pull that one.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #11

what are the small batterys used for?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmaston View Post
what are the small batterys used for?
You mean the group 24? It came with the single group 24 on the tongue and just figured I'd keep it as a "backup". Didn't cost anything to keep it.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #13

99 heritage

i know this post has been there for a while hopefully still active

This is exactly what i want to do with my heritage do you have the specs you wouldn't mind sharing with me? i already have mine remodeled and now need to do this part of the project. i have the high power inverters just need the wiring diagram for the batteries and there sizes that work the best.

Thanks
dsptchr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #14

The batteries are Deka 9C12s. They're 12V each and 229AH. Golf cart batteries are 6V and in the 225AH range. 2 of the 9C12s are equivalent to 4 golf car batteries. They're 130lbs each and not cheap.
The inverter is Portawattz1000. It's a modified sine wave inverter. Not all that good. I barely used it.
The charger is a Xantrex (company name may have changed) TrueCharge40+
The battery monitor is a Link10.

I don't have a wiring diagram anywhere. But if you're in any way unsure about your ability to work with 120V systems, have someone else do this for you. Also, read your charger and inverter install documentation very carefully with respect to wiring.

I'm actually selling this popup right now. Mice got into it and chewed up spots in the brand new canvas. So I'm selling it on craigslist and getting something else and storing it elsewhere.