Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Roof Vent Replacement

Getting my Jayco Jay Series 2006 ready for the road this week. We already had it up, and one of our roof vents doesn't close with the turn-knob (the one without a fan). We had this problem last year, and just gently pushed the cover down from the outside of the trailer when the roof was almost all the way down.

This year it shattered like glass. we taped over what was left, because rain was coming. Today when I moved the trailer from my daughter's farm into the city, the whole thing blew off.

I know that changing it is not a big job, and I plan to replace both vents. Should i just order replacements from a Jayco dealer, or try to find metal ones? In a popup, skylights aren't that necessary but the ventilation is nice. We leave on Monday, so for the road it will have to be a duct tape special.

Any suggestions or advice?
VA3SLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

Basically you need it asap. So ordering one is not feasible, which would be the cheapest option. I would locate a dealership on Monday and pick up at least one. All you need are basic tools, so you could do it in route. Another option is toss on a maxair type cover. You can get a camco brand at Walmart. I never close my roof vents, not even in the winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #3

Many standard vents have a replaceable lid. The hinge is a loose pin that most likely has a screw holding the pin in place. Knowing what brand you have helps or maybe a picture of the hinge to match what you have.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Many standard vents have a replaceable lid. The hinge is a loose pin that most likely has a screw holding the pin in place. Knowing what brand you have helps or maybe a picture of the hinge to match what you have.

Murff
^^^^^^THIS

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=universal...l_4oe3nri0fg_b
Old 07-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

So with these replacement lids, all i need to do is replace the lid and leave the frame, screen, crank, etc. all intact? That would be great.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA3SLJ View Post
So with these replacement lids, all i need to do is replace the lid and leave the frame, screen, crank, etc. all intact? That would be great.
Yep...
Old 07-11-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA3SLJ View Post
You mentioned it wouldn't crank down with the knob. Was the lid causing the problem, or is the the crank mechanism malfunctioning?

To replace the lid only, remove the inner garnish trim, the crank knob, the screen, and take off the two screws holding the crank and arm. Then slide the crank arm up to the 'keyhole' that's on the lid. This will release the lid from the crank arm, and it (or what's left of it) will be almost ready to be removed. On the roof, look at either side of the lid hinge, and there may be a small tab you can bend away, and slide the lid sideways off the housing. Installation is just the reverse.

Here's a quick video showing the whole process. Just be sure you have the same style of lid hinge first.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #8

I thought I had sent a reply! Thank you all for the help. I picked up a generic lid at a nearby RV dealer and had it on in about 5 minutes. The crank works well too, and I added a little WD40 silicon. As I drive, I notice that it still wants to rise up a bit. Until I get a Maxor vent over it, I might use velcro to keep it in place.

But thanks for all the help!

Tags
vents