Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 16
Rotten egg smell

I have my 2009 1207 plugged in sitting in the garage packed up so the frig can get cold. I walked into the garage this morning and was hit by a strong rotten egg like odor. I cant find the source. Any idea what that is?

I checked that the propane tanks are off. I don't have a toilet or a grey water tank.
__________________

mkultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Water heater? Though you usually only smell that when the hot water is running I would think... Anyway, skunky water in the water heater has a rotten egg smell to it.
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Sulfur water in a water heater with the wrong or missing anode rod. Yes, if you are dealing with that smell when running the hot water.


Sulfur dioxide is also released from an overcharged flooded-cell battery. H2SO4, anyone?


Check your battery for insufficient water and see if the converter's battery charger is outputting properly.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,593
...or

there's a 3 week old Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich under it.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 16
I think if it was the water in the heater i would have smelled it before now.

I checked the battery and it was hot to the touch. The water level was a little low but not to bad. I filled it a bit and kept charging for an hour. The camper had been plugged in for 24 hours so it should have been charged by now so i pulled it off and checked the voltage. It showed 11.3 volts on the battery and the incoming charge was 13.8 volts.

Seems like the converter is working fine but maybe the battery is toast. Any opinions?
mkultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,043
I think you are right. Do you disconnect the battery when not in use? Looks like a new battery is in your future.

could be the converter is overcharging it.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 16
I do not. Is that really a thing?
mkultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Old skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tucson
Posts: 474
It is imperative you disconnect your batteries when in storage if not plugged in. Good luck on recovering your low battery but good chance it is toast.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Redding
Posts: 10
Great thread...very helpful. This was our fourth trip with our trailer. Never had a problem before. Connected to the park power, we got 13.2-13.6 volts incoming. Planning to take it to the place we bought it, today. We were burining out fuses at the battery EVERY TIME we attempted to raise the trailer to attach to the car. The trailer service department put in a different fuse that "automatically resets" after "tripping." Could this burning up of fuses be a sign that the converter is/was a problem?

Plan to take it out next week for another trip. This thread makes me think:
batteries are toast
must evaluate converter
disconnect batteries when in storage - I didn't and they were always dead after a couple weeks

The help on this forum has saved our bacon before. Thanks for the help.
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Redding
Posts: 10
Fan running 24/7...Problem? Related to our converter? When the batteries were overcharging, creating the sulfur smell, we had a fan that was running below the oven, below the fuse box. Disconnecting the batteries and running directly with park power STOPPED the continual fan problem.

On our 3 previous trips, we never had this fan running constantly. Could this be a sign that our converter was the problem?
__________________

MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.