Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Safety Chain Photo Needed ASAP

Good morning all. As I was hitching the trailer for a week long camping trip I discovered someone has stolen the safety chains off the tongue. Sigh! Why this would happen is the content of another post.

Heading to get another chain once the store opens. Looking for someone to post a photo of where it is attached at the tongue as I can't recall.

Tent trailer: 2010 JaySeries 1007

Am starting an internet search also but hoping to expedite as we are already running behind.

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BugBarbeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

Look under the A- frame by the jack.. you should see 2 threaded (maybe just 1) hole(s). that is where the bolts go to hold the chain on..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Look under the A- frame by the jack.. you should see 2 threaded (maybe just 1) hole(s). that is where the bolts go to hold the chain on..

Thanks Seann45. That helps. Now to find the matching bolt as they took them too...

Old 07-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

When they take stuff from you is bad enough but even more so when it is safety equipment...

This will have to be replaced before you travel again on public roadways or your trailer will have a safety violation and be a possible danger to the general public...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post

Seann45 - worked great. Thanks for your post as it helped significantly. Only derailed our trip an hour to get the parts. Safe travels.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
When they take stuff from you is bad enough but even more so when it is safety equipment...

This will have to be replaced before you travel again on public roadways or your trailer will have a safety violation and be a possible danger to the general public...

Roy Ken

Thanks Roy for the post. Agreed, not a great situation when someone steals your safety equipment. I wouldn't consider moving the trailer without the chains and was fortunate that our local store was open on the long weekend. Didn't slow us down too much...

Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
Joy

Upon delivery of my new JaycoTT, I was advised by the technician who installed the BlueOxWDH to NEVER cross the safety chains. Since I had not heard this before, I clarified his instructions more than once. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information to support his instruction to NEVER cross chains. Has anyone heard this before? Is this something new? Could it have anything to do with the safety brake cable not working if chains are crossed?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Upon delivery of my new JaycoTT, I was advised by the technician who installed the BlueOxWDH to NEVER cross the safety chains. Since I had not heard this before, I clarified his instructions more than once. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information to support his instruction to NEVER cross chains. Has anyone heard this before? Is this something new? Could it have anything to do with the safety brake cable not working if chains are crossed?
IMO, he gave you incorrect information. You should (some say must) cross your safety chains.

Your post is the first time I've heard someone saying not to.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #9

Ohio state trooper will give you a ticket for chains not crossed
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #10

That sucks! I never understand steeling! Those chains cost you what $10-20. not worth the jail time.

On my canoe trailer I spot welded the bolt that holds the chains in place to guarantee the bolt did not come loose. I never would have guessed someone would steel safety chains.

3-4 years ago, someone stole one lug nut off my truck. If your going to take one, why not two. A new lug nut cost me 4-5 dollars.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBarbeque View Post
Seann45 - worked great. Thanks for your post as it helped significantly. Only derailed our trip an hour to get the parts. Safe travels.

glad I was able to help...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Towing TTs off and on for 40 years, we have NEVER NOT crossed the chains. The theory behind the crossed chains is that if something happens, the tongue of the trailer will get caught by the chains and not dig into the pavement causing an abrupt stop or worse......
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Please double check the instillation of your weight distributing hitch. I'm not sure that I would trust anything installed by that technician.
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Please double check the instillation of your weight distributing hitch. I'm not sure that I would trust anything installed by that technician.
Agreed! The amount of disinformation given out by folks that are supposed to be the ones in the know is scary.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Towing TTs off and on for 40 years, we have NEVER NOT crossed the chains. The theory behind the crossed chains is that if something happens, the tongue of the trailer will get caught by the chains and not dig into the pavement causing an abrupt stop or worse......
I am retired law enforcement and although I was not the kind of guy that would write this violation - I saw it many times times throughout my career and used it as an opportunity to educate the public. The amount of people out there that are either uninformed or misinformed is staggering. The lack of personal responsibility even more so.

If you are going to tow a 4 - 5 ton trailer down the road you should at least take the time to educate yourself on how to do it safely.

Here is New York State Law: Just skip to the bolded text...

f) Safety chains and attaching means.
Each towing system shall include safety chains.
(1) Strength requirements.
Each safety chain and each attaching means shall meet strength requirements as shown in table 4 and defined in section 57.2.
(2) Installation and connections.
The means of attachment of safety chains shall be located equally distant from and on opposite sides of the longitudinal centerline of the towing vehicle and of the trailer, except that where a single length of safety chain is connected to one single means of attachment of a trailer such single attachment shall be on the trailer longitudinal centerline. Each means of attachment shall not be common with or utilize fasteners common with a ball or coupling. No welding operation shall be performed on a safety chain subsequent to its manufacture. Safety chains shall be so connected that the slack for each length of chain between trailer and towing vehicle is the same and is not more than necessary to permit the proper turning of the vehicles. When passing forward to the towing vehicle, safety chains must be crossed under the tongue and oriented in such a manner as to prevent the tongue from dropping to the ground and to maintain connection in the event of failure of the primary connecting system.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #16

I had a cop pull me over on my very first trip in my trailer, to tell me to cross my chains. Nice cop by the way.

I have crossed them ever since.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote