Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #1

Cool Should I buy 2000 Jayco Eagle series 10UD pup

Hello
I have read some good tips on this website about what to look for before buying an older camper. I can buy the 10UD for $1200 which is just below NADA value.

Looked underneath: no rot. Looked at axle: looks fine. Cranked up and down: seems fine. Current owner said he caulks middle and sides of exterior roof every few years: looks good. No awning. Broken sink pump fixture. No battery or bracket or box or apparent wiring for a battery: owners always plugged in at parks. Canvas, screens, zippers look good. Owners said furnace and fridge work and I believe them.

Any thing else to think about?

My TV is a 2011 Ford Flex or 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. The 10UD weighs 1460 lbs dry weight.
Minneapolis Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Oh yes. The age of the tires. Are they over 5 years old? When were the brakes and wheel bearings checked/serviced? Is the cable system showing sign of wear or rust? The battery will be over $100, and a box and strap is about $20. What it needs to mount the battery, I can't tell you.

Your van would be a better tow vehicle, per it's rating.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

X2 on the tires and brakes. If you have electric brakes on that one you are legally required to have a battery everywhere I know of.

New tires, brakes and bearings could add up to $500 if you have it done. On the canvas get inside while up and look through it. if it is thin looking or stitching is coming loose it may be bad.

This is way I started camping with the kids 40 years ago with a Wheel Camper we sewed the canvas, she made new cushions and I messed up the brakes and bearings and paid to have them fixed. And went to Nova Scotia and the Grand Canyon in it over the years.

You can get a lot of fun out of this but the moving parts are important. If you spend some time on you tube you can probably do most of it yourself but bargain them down if you need brakes and tires.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Thanks! Tires are three years old. Canvas solid. No brakes on it as far as I can see. Owners manual says it is an option. At 1650 pounds, probably not needed? Going to use the 4 pin hookup as previous owner did.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolis Tom View Post
Hello
I can buy the 10UD for $1200 which is just below NADA value.

No awning.
Broken sink pump fixture.
No battery or bracket or box or apparent wiring for a battery
Owners said furnace and fridge work and I believe them.

Any thing else to think about?
The no awning, sink pump and battery + bracket + wiring should be discounts off the NADA value.

Awnings are pricey unless you are creative, sink pump- I don't know, battery, bracket and wiring = $150 to $200 imo.

Are you able to do the work? If not labor will be at least a few hundred.

Either test the furnace and fridge or get it in writing that they work and they will correct the issue if they don't. This is buyer beware 101.

On my old '95 1224 the fridge needed a battery, 110 or propane to operate, you state no apparent wiring. Battery or 110 and propane are needed for the furnace to work on most of that era popups. You didn't state if it has a propane tank included.

You will be replacing tires soon. Does it have a spare?

I don't know your market, but to me that is a $600 to $800 camper with $300 to $400 to add the awning, repair the sink and add the battery, bracket and wiring if you do the work yourself.

My $.05.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64osby View Post
The no awning, sink pump and battery + bracket + wiring should be discounts off the NADA value.

Awnings are pricey unless you are creative, sink pump- I don't know, battery, bracket and wiring = $150 to $200 imo.

Are you able to do the work? If not labor will be at least a few hundred.

Either test the furnace and fridge or get it in writing that they work and they will correct the issue if they don't. This is buyer beware 101.

On my old '95 1224 the fridge needed a battery, 110 or propane to operate, you state no apparent wiring. Battery or 110 and propane are needed for the furnace to work on most of that era popups. You didn't state if it has a propane tank included.

You will be replacing tires soon. Does it have a spare?

I don't know your market, but to me that is a $600 to $800 camper with $300 to $400 to add the awning, repair the sink and add the battery, bracket and wiring if you do the work yourself.

My $.05.
Thanks for those thoughts. Bought it today, set it up. Everything works. Faucet/pump, awning ordered. Tomorrow I will get battery wired. Fantastic way to get out to the parks (for $1200 plus)!
Old 07-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Congratulations, and enjoy your camper!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #8

Nice.

Glad everything is working. Hope the repairs go well.

Get out camping and enjoy.

When I saw your bike rack thread I figured you had picked it up. Just watch your tongue weight with that rack. I had a rear bumper rack that I carried two bikes with.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64osby View Post
Nice.

Glad everything is working. Hope the repairs go well.

Get out camping and enjoy.

When I saw your bike rack thread I figured you had picked it up. Just watch your tongue weight with that rack. I had a rear bumper rack that I carried two bikes with.
Thanks. It seems the weight is distributed on hitch and top of camper. I am wondering how careful I have to be with bikes on roof of pup.

Tags
10ud