Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Sink drain "etiquette"

We just purchased a 1996 1206KB. As this is the first time either of us has owned or camped in a pop up, I'm sure we'll have plenty of questions. Here's the first one: Regarding the sink drain, which is essentially a hose hookup on the outside of the camper. What is the proper etiquette for using this? Do you just hook up a short length of garden hose and let the water drain onto the ground? Do you tuck the hose under the camper? Are you supposed to have it empty into a bucket and "dispose of it properly"? Sorry for the novice question, but we don't want to get "those looks" when we're using our camper! The first couple times this camper will be used will be dry camping, no hookups. Essentially, we'll be in the middle of a field. Is there a different etiquette if you're in a campground with hookups? Question 2: On the right side (the side with the door), at the front, near the bottom, there is a cover that is open at the bottom, and looking up inside this cover by laying on the ground, you can see there is an opening under it. The cover is solid and doesn't lift or pop off. It's screwed on. What is this for? I know we'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks in advance for the info.
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #2

A simple hose drain from a pop-up or a 30 gal gray tank the only difference is quantity. If you're out in a field [not CG] pretty much by yourself, I believe its pretty much your choice. Why drain into a bucket and then walk 50 feet and pour it on the ground? In a CG, use a bucket or tote. Pop-ups have to follow the rules too.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #3

Regarding your sink drain. Proper etiquette depends a lot on where you are at. Always ask a campground host. Generally speaking though, allowing your sink to drain into a bucket or tank is advisable. If you are camping anywhere around critters, this allows you to dispose of your "grey" wastewater away from your campsite. Although, when dry camping "in the middle of nowhere", I have run a hose (usually and 25 foot hose) out to a hole I dig (about the size of a 5 gallon bucket). Upon departure, I back fill the hole. Also, it is advisable to use a bio friendly soap with your sink.

As for your cover. Photos would be helpful.

Never apologize for "novice" questions, nobody knows it all.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

When I was a tent camper I used a 5 gal. bucket and always used a bio soap. At the end of my wash and rinse I walked around and watered the bushes and young trees.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #5

I used a ten foot hose that was old and had had the end cut off... I think it was down to around seven foot(-ish) and usually tried to direct it away from the pup. Try to figure out which way was down hill. I didn't have a hot water heater, so the sink wasn't being used often, although I did pour my dish wash bin down that drain.
That is what most people do around here. (Maritimes Canada). I did do a trip down the east coast to virginia beach & back and the only time I drained into a bucket was Massachusetts because they have a grey-water law.
So using a bucket might be better etiquette but I've only done that once and no one has ever said anything about it or given me dirty looks for not doing it. I read campground rules and only place that mentioned anything about it, was camping in Massachusetts.

Edit: about question #2.... Not sure what you are asking about; please post a picture. :-)
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Photo of mystery "port"

Here's a couple photos of what I am asking about in question 2 of my original post. Anyone know what this is for?
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1091.JPG   SAM_1092.JPG  
Old 08-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Could be some type vent for a tank, maybe fresh water. You should be able to see where it goes on the inside.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #8

The shower/toilet unit is on the opposite of that wall where it is. There's nothing to see on the other side of the wall but the plastic shower enclosure. Plumbing for the shower is not on the outside wall either. I wonder if it could be an air vent for the shower drain?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

IF there are pit/vault toilets nearby then capture the gray water and pour it into the toilet. .
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies. The first couple trips (and probably most of the subsequent trips) made with the camper will not be to a regular campground. It's kinda hard to explain, but we're involved in a sport that has 2 day matches, and they are at a venue that is not a campground, but has an area set aside for people to set up camp. Most people have travel trailers or RV's. There are porta-john's brought in for the events, but that's about it for "utilities". Totally dry camping so there's no way to "properly" dispose of water. The shower in our unit has a tank. The sink I anticipate being used for washing face, hands and brushing teeth and occasionally washing a dish or two. I will try to discreetly observe what others are doing if there are any other pop ups there. Otherwise I'll just tuck that hose under the camper so no one is stepping through sloggy ground if they walk by our unit. I'm hoping to be able to be out away from the other campers/RV's. I am not yet a very experineced tower, and precision backing scares the crap out of me!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #11

You'll pick up on backing quickly. Just remember that you start by turning your steering wheel opposite of how you think you should to get the angle started then start going like you think you should. It helps if someone else helps to guide from outside, but again remember that you can't instantly change direction or go from turn to straight. You have to plan in advance where you're going. Took my DW about 5 years to get that figured out. Cell phones on speaker will help you not to yell, but there is a delay in hearing. Good luck and have fun.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider View Post
Thanks for all the replies. ........ precision backing scares the crap out of me!
Put one hand on the bottom of the wheel (in the center) and then simply move your hand in the direction you want the camper to go. If your hand is on top of the wheel you have to think backwards, put it on the bottom and you move camper left when you move your hand left, same for moving right.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #13

I know the bottom of the steering wheel trick, and that is what I do. I find though that it's hard to gauge when to start straightening things out and how far, before it starts going TOO far in that direction, especially when space is tight. I think it's just a matter of being able to practice, but that is a pain. Unfortunately, hubby is worse at backing up than I am, and I think that both of us not having a feel for "ok, start straightening it out" is not helping. I won't have a second person with me to help me back it up either and neither will hubby when he goes out of state next weekend. We're both travellling solo.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #14

In Minnesota there are no rules in state parks on disposing of gray water, so we just put a hose leading under the camper for looks. If we put the drain end into a bucket it air-locks as soon as the water rises over the hose outlet and then the sink won't drain. So we just use the sink for hands and teeth, and wash our dishes outside and broadcast the water into the weeds at the site.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider View Post
I know the bottom of the steering wheel trick, and that is what I do. I find though that it's hard to gauge when to start straightening things out and how far, before it starts going TOO far in that direction, especially when space is tight. I think it's just a matter of being able to practice, but that is a pain. Unfortunately, hubby is worse at backing up than I am, and I think that both of us not having a feel for "ok, start straightening it out" is not helping. I won't have a second person with me to help me back it up either and neither will hubby when he goes out of state next weekend. We're both travellling solo.
You can practice the backing in a large parking lot with marked stalls. Pick one and back in we had a closed department store I used to help teach the DW backing. It gets easier with practice.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
In Minnesota there are no rules in state parks on disposing of gray water, so we just put a hose leading under the camper for looks. If we put the drain end into a bucket it air-locks as soon as the water rises over the hose outlet and then the sink won't drain. So we just use the sink for hands and teeth, and wash our dishes outside and broadcast the water into the weeds at the site.
I can not speak for Minnesota, but in many areas of the country, any water that contains food particles is considered black water for waste purposes. I would ask at the park office before dumping anywhere. Food particles attract creepy crawly things that don't like people much...and people don't like them much...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote