Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #11

You'll pick up on backing quickly. Just remember that you start by turning your steering wheel opposite of how you think you should to get the angle started then start going like you think you should. It helps if someone else helps to guide from outside, but again remember that you can't instantly change direction or go from turn to straight. You have to plan in advance where you're going. Took my DW about 5 years to get that figured out. Cell phones on speaker will help you not to yell, but there is a delay in hearing. Good luck and have fun.

secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider View Post
Thanks for all the replies. ........ precision backing scares the crap out of me!
Put one hand on the bottom of the wheel (in the center) and then simply move your hand in the direction you want the camper to go. If your hand is on top of the wheel you have to think backwards, put it on the bottom and you move camper left when you move your hand left, same for moving right.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #13

I know the bottom of the steering wheel trick, and that is what I do. I find though that it's hard to gauge when to start straightening things out and how far, before it starts going TOO far in that direction, especially when space is tight. I think it's just a matter of being able to practice, but that is a pain. Unfortunately, hubby is worse at backing up than I am, and I think that both of us not having a feel for "ok, start straightening it out" is not helping. I won't have a second person with me to help me back it up either and neither will hubby when he goes out of state next weekend. We're both travellling solo.
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

In Minnesota there are no rules in state parks on disposing of gray water, so we just put a hose leading under the camper for looks. If we put the drain end into a bucket it air-locks as soon as the water rises over the hose outlet and then the sink won't drain. So we just use the sink for hands and teeth, and wash our dishes outside and broadcast the water into the weeds at the site.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider View Post
I know the bottom of the steering wheel trick, and that is what I do. I find though that it's hard to gauge when to start straightening things out and how far, before it starts going TOO far in that direction, especially when space is tight. I think it's just a matter of being able to practice, but that is a pain. Unfortunately, hubby is worse at backing up than I am, and I think that both of us not having a feel for "ok, start straightening it out" is not helping. I won't have a second person with me to help me back it up either and neither will hubby when he goes out of state next weekend. We're both travellling solo.
You can practice the backing in a large parking lot with marked stalls. Pick one and back in we had a closed department store I used to help teach the DW backing. It gets easier with practice.
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidly View Post
In Minnesota there are no rules in state parks on disposing of gray water, so we just put a hose leading under the camper for looks. If we put the drain end into a bucket it air-locks as soon as the water rises over the hose outlet and then the sink won't drain. So we just use the sink for hands and teeth, and wash our dishes outside and broadcast the water into the weeds at the site.
I can not speak for Minnesota, but in many areas of the country, any water that contains food particles is considered black water for waste purposes. I would ask at the park office before dumping anywhere. Food particles attract creepy crawly things that don't like people much...and people don't like them much...