Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Standard Axle

So I was told I had trailer brakes when I bought my 1998 12 UDK. I pulled the pigtail recently to re-wire it to an RV plug so I could have working brakes and charging. Looking at the pigtail there was no brake wire. So I crawled under and found it had no brakes. No big deal. I've never really used trailer brakes and have towed many many cars without them but it would be nice.

At anyrate I noticed I have a torsion axle. Did many of these come from the factory with torsion? I wondered why it towed so dang good. Now I know why. Brakes will probably be added at some point but not in the near future. Just curious if torsion was standard or an option.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

you probably have surge brakes that work off the coupler and trailer ball,there will not be a brake wire except for the break away cable that is located near the coupler, they work with the forward motion when stopping. see if you have brake lines. we had the same trailer and it had surge brakes.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
you probably have surge brakes that work off the coupler and trailer ball,there will not be a brake wire except for the break away cable that is located near the coupler, they work with the forward motion when stopping. see if you have brake lines. we had the same trailer and it had surge brakes.
There is deffinately no brakes on this. And for certain no surge brakes. I knew that purchasing it. I looked at the hubs, there are no brakes.

I'm not new to trailers or mechanics. I should have clarified that earlier. I build trailers as a hobby sometimes. If I have anything resembling a trailer I go to town on it.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote