Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

Question Storing Lower Door When Camping

I was wondering where everyone stores their lower door when they are camping. There is a plastic latch on the side of the camper that will hold the door open, but this will allow the door to get wet if it rains and you don't have your awning up. I seem to remember seeing the door being taken off and attached to the underside of one of the slideouts on some other brand campers. I don't know if the Jayco is supposed to have this too and the dealer just forgot to install it or what?????

Thanks!
nachomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #2

If yours is a Jayco then it should have that... maybe call and ask your dealer to double check.
mani55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

I'm kind of scratching-my-head on your quandry. If you live/camp in bug-free areas, I could see just latching the door in the open position and enjoying the freedom of movement in/out of the camper. I can't imagine why you would want to completely remove the lower door from your pup in the first place.(?)

But the lower door on our pup is attached via piano-hinge and does not appear easy to remove. And there is no place to store it if it were removed. But here in bug-ville, that door is always closed (with upper door/screen in place) to keep the flying vermin out. Almost every place we camp is by a body of water, and with that comes a flying army of curious airborne critters (that the DW despises).

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyreguy View Post
I'm kind of scratching-my-head on your quandry. If you live/camp in bug-free areas, I could see just latching the door in the open position and enjoying the freedom of movement in/out of the camper. I can't imagine why you would want to completely remove the lower door from your pup in the first place.(?)
I have to agree. I moved from a pop-up to a hybrid last year but I can't think of a single reason I would have removed my lower door.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #5

He is talking about removing the travel door. There is a full screen door used while set up.
N.S.Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #6

I never bothered to take mine off. It was aluminum inside and out with drain holes in the door pocket so rain never hurt it. I almost never had my awning up and in five years of rain it never hurt it. But there was not a place to store it either nor have I ever heard of that on a Jayco pup
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

We also have a 2011 Jayco. The difference between the 2011 and the 2010 is that they removed the latches under the bunk for storing the travel door in the 2011. Remove it and put it in your TV.
nimrod65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

My 1206 had a latch on the side to secure the door in the open position. I never stored anything in the door pocket and it had drain holes for when it rained. I never took it off rain or shine.
techmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

I just bought a 2012 1007 pup and the door can hang by the hinges on the bottom of the back bunk.
RJSJR_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

If you don't have the hinges under the back bunk and want to store the door, I would contact a Jayco dealer and see if they will get you a set. I also did not like ours sitting out when camping, we always put ours under the bunk on the storage hinges.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #11

Storing Lower Door When Camping

Hi,

We have a 2011 Jayco Model 1208 and store the travel door behind the seat in my pickup after we setup at the campground. Jayco stopped putting the hanging brackets under the bunk for 2011. Sounds like they might be including them again on some models though. I don't like the idea of the door being out for somebody to easily walk off with, so storing it in my truck works for me. I noticed in the new trailers similar to mine, Jayco now has a door that opens up and becomes a step, similar to how Coleman was made. I would like that on mine even better.

Good luck and happy camping.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote