Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Surge brakes hopping

Hey all need some help. Just bought a 95 1207 with surge brakes and my TV is a z71Colorado. We took it out for a dry run and I noticed when stoping the trailer would hop bad. I haven't pulled the drums off to look at pads yet, my 18 foot Tuffy with a 150 hp mariner fishing boat was much heavier then the pup so should I look into fixing the brakes or just remove? Any advise would be good. Thanks

walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Do you have an external brake controller? Is the setting set too high / or is there any boost settings set on it?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

No the brakes on the pup are on the trailer, there's a master cylinder on the coupler on the pup, could it be the shock absorber is shot or brakes need to be adjusted or replaced.... Don't know kinda scary when stoping. Hops like crazy when stoping. Never had brakes on a trailer before.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Hopefully only the brakes need adjusting. I have surge brakes on my 197. I was going to change to electric, but so far I'm not going to rush it. I've taken the trailer through some serious Mtn passes, and only one emergency brake when a car cut me off and slammed the brakes to make a right turn in front of me, and the brakes worked great.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

If it were my PUP and just bought, I would pull the hubs, inspect, remove an rust, check remaining brake pad thickness, etc. etc. I would then adjust the front cylinder. Lots of Y-Tube videos on how to inspection brake hubs. And while the hubs are off, I'd replace each hub's seals and re-grease each hub as well.

If wondering, I'm not a fan of surge brakes. For me, I've have much better luck with full electric brakes. If the existing brake hubs, brake pads or compression cylinder needs replacing, I would simply convert to full electric brakes. I find full electric brakes easier to adjust, easier to understand and easy to buy parts as well. Especially when STAR brake wiring is installed. re: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...iring-Star.jpg If wondering, I have 3 x trailers with full electric brakes and never had breakage problems with them. Normal wear and normal annual re-greasing.

Hope this helps.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #6

Just to add I have never had any trailer with any kind of brakes and have pulled some heavy stuff, just confused and don't think they are worth fixing.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #7

Each regional has different trailer brake laws. Some regions use 1,500, some use 2,000 and some use 3,000 lbs law. Each region is different.

If wondering, my region uses 3,000 lbs rule. If trailer is more than 3,000 lbs, it needs its own brakes. But if a trailer is < 3,000 lbs, NO trailer brakes is required. I used to pull a 6x10 utility trailer at 2,500 lbs and go tired of being pushed around by it. I installed Full Electric brakes under this trailer and now I understand why regions are using the 1,500 lbs law. Combo TV & attached Trailer braking ability is amazing. Now, any attached trailer over 1,500 lbs gets its own brakes. It's a life saver....

Do check your local laws and your TV's braking power ability numbers. Pick the lesser number of each. Works for my combos...
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #8

Good advise gonna look into that, It's either shock or pads I would think
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #9

Ok next from what I have read is to check brake adjustment, get that done tomorrow. In IL trailer brakes are required for trailers over 3000 lbs so why does this PUP have brakes when it weighs 2100 lbs?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Because it's safer.

JMHO,

Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote