Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Question Surge Brakes - Worth it to install?

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm completely new to camping. We picked up our 2011 1007 model on Friday and took it to a Jellystone campground Friday night to ease us into camping. Besides the awning , everything went really smooth!

I have a question though, we live in Illinois where its pretty flat. I am towing this with my 2010 Honda minivan and have the Honda tow package installed. However, in 3 weeks we are going to go to Pittsburgh and Hershey PA where it is quite mountainous. Should I have the surge brakes installed? It's a 10' box and weighs approximately 1850lbs with all my stuff in it.

The dealer thinks probably not worth it, but I am afraid of those long steep inclines.. its bad enough when you aren't towing a big box behind you.

Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated.

Penns215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #2

I had surge brakes on an old trailer and it was a problem backing up an incline, they always locked up. Just use a good electric brake controller like the Prodigy p2 or p3 and it will work great.

82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

Hmm, I don't have electric brakes either. Dealer is telling me to drop the transmission into 2nd gear as I go down the mountain... It's about $1000 to install the electric brakes and brake controller and wiring, etc.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #4

Hey Penns215! Welcome to the Jayco Forum! If you get some time come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

Glad your first trip went well! Those awnings can be a little tricky until you figure them out.

Rather than surge brakes - could you add electric brakes? I think you would be much happier. I know it is an option from Jayco, just not sure how difficult it is to install aftermarket.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #5

They aren't terribly involved to install yourself, but I don't really think it's necessary. I'm guessing that you're Honda has a 3,000 or 3,500lb tow rating, which is well above what you're pulling. I think you'll be fine without brakes.

If you decide you can't live without them, go with electric. They are better in just about every way on a camping trailer.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #6

Thanks (I will go and introduce myself) and Thanks for the tip about not needing them. I do have 3,500 towing and electric brakes are about $1000..and I figure if I burn through my brake pads while on this trip, it will be cheaper to buy new brakes on the van.

Thanks for the tips everyone, nice to have a forum to vet these questions through!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #7

Just keep it slow and easy, gear down and let your engine do some of the braking. Dont ride the brakes so you give them time to cool a little between braking.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #8

Don't take the risk. Install full electric brakes. Simple brake hubs (or new axle - that has included brake hubs), some thick 10 gauge wire, a simple 7 pin connector and a industry validated Prodigy P2/P3 brake controller. Simple 4-5 hours to install / upgrade. Well worth the time and the small cost for saving lives (yours and others).

Seriously... If your attached trailer is over your vehicle's cargo carrying capacity, install electric brakes on the trailer. Most mini-vans have internal cargo capacity of 1,500 lbs. Any attached trailer without its own brakes ABOVE vehicle's CC weight is taxing the vehicle's factory brakes. Thus, high risk of failure, early burn out and can "Warp" the rotors during panic stops. And, not to mention fish tails and long braking distances. Simply install full electric brakes on your trailer and "its good for life". Once installed and properly adjusted, you'd be amazed. And, (like me) you'll be telling many others to install brakes on their trailer over 1,500 lbs as well... Braking power before and after is amazing...
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #9

I have surge brakes on my FSO and there is a switch you though when backing up so the brakes don't lock up.

But for the time, and money I would do electric brakes..
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

I just got a small Jayco with surge brakes, which I know nothing about, and when I backed it in to the driveway the brakes did not lock up. Is there something wrong with them maybe? There is what looks like a knob on top but the lettering on top is worn and I can't read it. Could this be that switch? Also, do surge brakes require fluid? This is all new to me. Thanks.....Bill

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote