Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Tail Light Issue - Jay Series 1007

The brake light, directional light, and tail/running light in the rear passenger side are all not working. All the other lights are working. Just purchased - first time pop-up owner - 2005 Jayco Jay Series 1007. Seems like it would be a wiring issue, but looks like the wiring isn't the easiest to access. So, before I go down that road...are there fuses in the camper for the tail lights? Or any other suggestions...I will probably put a multimeter to the tow vehicle plug tonight.
Thanks for any help.
Dan
DanMKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #2

If the tow vehicle plug shows voltage than check to make sure your plug and receptacle are both clean and making good contact. Then go back and take off the tail light cover and see if you have corrosion at the bulb or socket and if it is wired ground is also not corroded. If tow vehicle is making current into the wire and none is coming out the back it may be easier to just run new wires to the rear. But get under and look for any broken wires or bad connections under it. They may all be tucked up inside but worth a look.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #3

If it sat outside for any length of time I would suspect critters got in and chewed the wiring. Also check to see if the lights are properly grounded.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:43 AM   #4

There are no fuses in the trailer for lights, those fuses are in the tow vehicle. Surely sounds like a wiring issue in the trailer though. The running lights are a single wire on the trailer 7-pin. So if one side is working and the other isn't the problem would be with the trailer wiring or a burnt bulb, but I expect you checked that already. The Brake and Signal light share a wire for each of the right and left side, so that is worth checking at the plug.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #5

Being both the right and left side rear lights that have both the indicators, and brake lights, I suspect the issue is a common ground connection at the trailer frame.

Crawl under the PU, near the back wall and look for a white wire connected to the frame. You may find multiple locations, or one location with a bunch of wires screwed to the frame.

Clean up and secure. I like to use a star washer between the wire Scotchlok and the frame to ensure the a good strong ground. Once confirmed it is fixed, I like to also apply liquid electrical tape over the cleaned connection point so I do not have to deal with it again. FYI, liquid electrical tape is messy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #6

cleaned up the grounding that I could see and no improvement. I think I may just run new wires underneath from the tongue to that corner.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #7

cleaning up the existing grounding connections didn't work...I ran a new ground for the lights that weren't working and it resolved the issue...thanks for everyone's help!

Tags
jayco 1007 tail light