Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

the age old debate new vs old

I am drawn to the Jayco lifetime warranties and trying to justify buying new for that reason or not. And if not how old of one would you buy?

We cannot do any repairs ourselves. Neither of us have the brain function for such so with that said would we be better buying new?

We have (in our relationship) owned only new, first a travel trailer, then a MBS class c motorhome and now we are shifting to a PUP. I feel helpless if we buy used and there are problems, getting into service places takes weeks and can be expensive if you don't trust the company.

I am looking at the Jayco Sport 12UD. This is the compromise so we can keep camping occasionally but not have a payment to make.

Thanks for any input on this.
cfrittshokanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #2

If you are only thinking of occasionally camping and not any repair problems would you consider just renting one from time to time.?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

We have discussed that too, which is a great option if you can plan ahead. we may still go that route as the debate is still going on.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

Lifetime warranties ? ummm. I must of missed that.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrittshokanson View Post
I am drawn to the Jayco lifetime warranties and trying to justify buying new for that reason or not. And if not how old of one would you buy?

We cannot do any repairs ourselves. Neither of us have the brain function for such so with that said would we be better buying new?

We have (in our relationship) owned only new, first a travel trailer, then a MBS class c motorhome and now we are shifting to a PUP. I feel helpless if we buy used and there are problems, getting into service places takes weeks and can be expensive if you don't trust the company.

I am looking at the Jayco Sport 12UD. This is the compromise so we can keep camping occasionally but not have a payment to make.

Thanks for any input on this.
With all the warranty problems people are having with new rigs, perhaps a slightly used one would actually need fewer repairs? Just sayin'...
Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Some dealers are offering it now such as the link below. But it's very limited in what it covers.

Lifetime Warranty | Bill Plemmons RV World | Rural Hall North Carolina
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Ummmmm.... me too. Maybe + ?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

this is from the Jayco website:

Jayco offers to the original purchaser additional industry-leading lifetime parts and labor coverage on our camping trailer lifter system, roof, floor, and frame. We also offer for camping trailers and expandable travel trailers five-year (5) coverage on our tent with parts, labor, and freight covered the first two years; parts, factory labor, and return freight during years three, four, and five.

They state it has 5 lifetime warranties. The lifter system, the roof, the floor and frame and.... I guess I don't know what the 5th one is.

Of course there are limits to what all it covers but it seems better than a lot of others.

This is the only reason I am considering a new model and Jayco. I will never buy Forest River again and the other companies don't seem to have as good of warranties.

Maybe I am missing something????
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
this is from the Jayco website:

Jayco offers to the original purchaser additional industry-leading lifetime parts and labor coverage on our camping trailer lifter system, roof, floor, and frame. We also offer for camping trailers and expandable travel trailers five-year (5) coverage on our tent with parts, labor, and freight covered the first two years; parts, factory labor, and return freight during years three, four, and five.

They state it has 5 lifetime warranties. The lifter system, the roof, the floor and frame and.... I guess I don't know what the 5th one is.

Of course there are limits to what all it covers but it seems better than a lot of others.

This is the only reason I am considering a new model and Jayco. I will never buy Forest River again and the other companies don't seem to have as good of warranties.

Maybe I am missing something????
You are correct they do offer those warranties on pop ups. Those are not offered on travel trailers or 5th wheels so that's where some of the confusion may have come in.☺
Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #10

Thanks. Glad to see I am not too confused here.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks. Glad to see I am not too confused here.
It seems we were the ones confused. Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #12

We had the option to buy a new 2017 12SC or the equivalent model from 2016. The price difference was about 3000 but the 2016 didn't have any warranties, not even the initial five year ones on certain things. This was enough to push us to buy the new one.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #13

I've always thought that the depreciation value of an RV was higher than the repair cost of any warranty claims. You may want to double check on the costs of repairs to those lifetime warranty items. Buy new because you want it new. Don't buy new because it will save you money in the long run. Having usually bought used for the savings, I've always spent far less in repairs for the life of the RV than I would have paid extra to get new with warranty. The math may not hold true for what you are looking at, but it's worth making sure at least.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #14

I buy new because I like to be the only one that has !@#$#! on the bed or !%$#! in the toilet.

On a serious note, I would buy used in a heart beat if it was in great shape.

Fact is weather you buy new or used, the wait times at the shop aren't going to be a whole lot different. I really do like that 'new car smell' and will pay extra for being the first owner. I know it costs me dearly.. but I'm ok with that.

I'm also pretty handy and even though I have the warranty, 9 times out of 10 I fix their issues on my own time, and dime... in other words, the warranty wasn't a factor for us.. other than just giving us a tiny bit of peace of mind that they stand behind their products longer than a lot of the competitors.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #15

Another thing to consider with warranties is that when we were doing the paperwork on my camper that our dealer said that the 2 year Jayco warranty isn't transferable. It only applies to the original owner. I don't know about the lifetime stuff as others mentioned and if it is a dealer thing who knows what the terms are as it is being offered by the dealer or maybe a 3rd party the dealer is running the warranty through. Also while a used Jayco may no longer be covered under the factory warranty, it may or may not impact the warranty for individual items like the fridge and such.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #16

We were told any warranty work can be done by any Jayco dealer so i think the warranty is through the manufacturer
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
We were told any warranty work can be done by any Jayco dealer so i think the warranty is through the manufacturer
That may not necessarily mean anything so I wouldn't assume. It isn't anything necessarily wrong with a 3rd party warranty but some are better than others. I wanted to point out that my understanding (at least with my Jay Feather 25BH) is that the original which in my case is only 2 years, will not transfer to another future owner. I only stated this because it is worth asking the questions before deciding and finalizing a deal on a used one. Does it mean someone should only buy new? Not necessarily but take it into account with negotiations. If the warranty is 3rd party it very well could be transferable.

If it is some of the items specifically mentioned that are covered with a lifetime warranty note this sentence from Jayco's Website.

https://www.jayco.com/owner/2-year-warranty/

Quote:
Jayco offers to the original purchaser additional industry-leading lifetime parts and labor coverage on our camping trailer lifter system, roof, floor, and frame.
We do our PDI and pick up our camper on Thursday and I will ask about these items.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I was importing used Jayco pop-ups into Canada from U.S. some years ago .... if they were somewhat taken care of, they never had any issues!

Tags
old vs new