Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

Tips

So as a new owner of a used pop up.. I have a question that I never considered until I purchased this camper, which is.. is there anything that can be done to maintenance/inspect the pulley system on this camper? it seems fine, but I somehow stumbled onto some discussions online about nightmare scenarios when people were setting up at a camp sites and the cable snaps.. I've tried look at mine ..vaguely to see if I can see it (cables) , but cant seem to see any access point anywhere without disassembling things like cabinets and such..The camper itself is immaculate, and well cared for by previous owners.. Should I worry about it or am I worried for nothing?
2002 Jayco Heritage w/slide

campkcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

When the roof is up you should see some of the cables inside the lift tubes. The critical part is underneath where the pullies are exposed to the weather. The underneath pullies definitely need to be lubed regularly.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

As far as the cable system. If it's working, don't mess with it. But, it's a good idea to have the lift system inspected every so often. Not sure on the duration but, I'd imagine every other year. On my old Coleman, I could get to the system and do some of my own preventive maintenance. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #4

@Grumpy
In mine however there is nothing exposed.. the lift struts are the gold 3 step, and they are sealed from view..I've crawled underneath and they look as if they'd be running through the cabin area, across the front and rear, there is a trimmed out step (if you will) that is sealed and does not look accessible without tearing it apart to access the cables.. I will consult an RV shop as to what they recommend, I just close my eyes every time I crank it up as Im now paranoid it will snap on me..lol thanks though

@TWP723 I like the way you think.. if it aint broke , dont mess with it..
Old 08-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

We bought a '72 Jayco pop-up in '92. I didn't know anything about them at the time. The corners of the floor were rotted and the lift system didn't work right as a result. I rebuilt the floor and recabled the lift system.

In '93 we bought a new Jayco 1208 pop-up. We had that trailer for 10 years.

What I noticed as it got older, this was in the last few years we had it, is that the cables started to bind a bit. It's just the nature of the beast, the cables stretch out a little over time.

I have personally never heard of a cable snapping. Bolts holding the pulleys down that rust and come out of the wood, binding cables that don't allow you to crank up or down, posts that get bent or damaged. Things like that I think are far more common than a cable snapping.

If it's all working good just have fun with it!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Thanks .. yes I'm jus being a little parinoid about it . I'm sure it will be fine .. thx for the input 😊
Old 08-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #7

Currently, frame, floor, roof & lift system are all lifetime warranty items.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

So any RV dealer will honor the warrantee no matter what?? If that's the case then that's a load off
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

I don't know what their warranty was when yours was made, and I doubt if it transfers to 2nd owners. But that warranty is one reason I purchased new. I'm covered as long as I own it.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

We had a 95 Dutchman pop up and I did snap a cable. Fortunately it was at home. I was a little horrified at what I was going to do. We went to the local dealer and we're quoted about $1000.00 and 3 weeks. Did some searching on Google and you tube and discovered it was not a big deal. Within 2 hrs I had the lift system out and the cable in hand. Took it to our local wire rope supplier and was handed a free replacement in a day or two. ( we buy a lot of wire rope). Installed it in a couple of hrs and we were back in business. Best part was it cost me nothing and only took 4 or 5 hrs. If you are worried try and locate where your cables change direction and be sure the pulies are working correctly. There may be a few grease nipples underneath and a little spray lube down the posts never hurt. Note the trailer was 20 years old when the cable finally broke, one of the pulies was damaged and had rubbed on the cable. Pay attention to how hard it is to wind the top upward, may give you a clew as to the condition of things

Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote