Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Tire question for BAJA series...

Hi all - well, although the 2006 10Y's original tires (235/75/15, or 29/9.5/15) show almost no tread wear they're 8 (going on 9) years old and I'm going to replace them for fear of dry rot (and possibly blowing a side at highway speed).

The Dunlop is an interesting tire - looks cool on the Baja series - but it's basically a light-duty truck tire with a max weight rating of 1990lbs. My per-tire max axle load limit for the 10Y is 1860lbs. So, that works despite it having what I imagine is fairly poor rolling resistance characteristics.

QUESTION 1: I'd *like* to go to a Goodyear Wrangler replacement as it keeps the look, the price is right ($82) and the load max is 2028lbs. BUT it is a "P"assenger tire for trucks and SUVs, not an "LT" or trailer-specific tire. I know that trailer tires are typically heavier construction to handle much heavier weights at higher pressures, but in this case the weight rating appears to work fine, so are there other tradeoffs I am not realizing??

QUESTION 2: Jayco is apparently comfortable putting the Dunlop on as OEM equipment, so is max weight capacity really the only number to look at when purchasing tires??

QUESTION 3: Would anyone have a suggestion as to what I might also look into? The look is important, but I also value rolling resistance too (something tells me these might be at odds haha)...

Thanks in advance.
Makakio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #2

I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my 2005 10Z two summers ago. Virtually no tread wear but they were starting to check.

To keep the mud tire look in the 235/75R15, the choices are limited and not cheap. In fact, Dunlop does not offer the Mud Rover in that size anymore. Many more choices in an AT (all-terrain - less aggressive) tread.

I wanted to keep the MT look so I ended up with the Hankook DynaPro MT. They have them at Discount Tire.

I don't think I looked at anything that wasn't an LT tire - going with the theory of that's what the OEM tire was... My trailer and tire knowledge is minimal so I don't know what if any, issues to consider with a P series tire.

Good Luck!
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakio View Post
So, that works despite it having what I imagine is fairly poor rolling resistance characteristics.

The look is important, but I also value rolling resistance too (something tells me these might be at odds haha)...

Thanks in advance.
A thing to consider when talking about tires. "Rolling resistance" = grip. Therefore, basic algebra shows low rolling resistance = low grip.

Now, you're talking about all terrains and so on, so you're not going to have a "low rolling resistance" option particularly. But it's something to think about, especially when you start comparing braking distances with different tire grips.