Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

Tire Upgrade (?)

Has anyone upgraded from the 5.3X12 stock tires to a 13" tire on a 1006?
les45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #2

No responses to date. Surely someone has some experience. Bumping back to top to see if I can stir up a response.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

I have never went to a taller tire on any trailer. Lots of folks do this all the time though. It should work fine you just need to make sure that you have enough clearance in the wheel well.

IMHO, there is not a lot of advantage to doing this. It will not increase the load capacity of the trailer because your axle is still the weak point.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Not really looking to increase capacity. I'm just concerned about the reliability of the Chinese tires (Kendra). Also would like a little wider profile just for cosmetic reasons.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #5

Don't know about the 1006, but check your wheel well clearance. I had rub marks on the inside of the tubs from the OEM tires hitting at full suspension compression already. Adding an inch probably would not have been possible, although you could put taller travel limiters (bump stops) on the axle to prevent this rubbing.

My Kenda's wore better than the Carlisle's I eventually replaced them with, but many on this forum really like the Carlisle if you are looking for brand options.

Going to 13's does give you the option of radial tires (never found a 12" radial, they are all bias ply apparently). Just try to find one with an overall diameter as close as possible to your current outfit. For instance the Maxxis 175/80R13 has an overall diameter of 24.1". How does that compare to the diameter of your current tire?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Stories of Chinese tires blowing just scare people into buying something they don't need. There were issues with 15" Towmax Power King tires a few years ago and lots of anti Chinese tire sentiment over that. But the 13" Towax tires on my trailer are the original and about 5 years old. In fact I cannot fine one single post anywhere about 13" Towmax tires blowing prematurely. I'm going to run them one more season then replace them simply because of age.

In 24 years of having 3 different trailers, I have never had an ST tire blow out. I've always believed in keeping them at their max PSI as stated in the trailer owners manual, and stay under the max rated speed. With most ST tires that 65 mph.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

So you don’t think that there’s really anything to worry about in regards to this sort of thing? There is so much information and misinformation out there that it’s kinda hard to sort out what I need to pay attention to. I’d love to avoid changing my tires, but I’d totally be willing to spend the extra cash if it’s going to keep me safe and prevent a blowout.
RVRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRiding View Post
So you don’t think that there’s really anything to worry about in regards to this sort of thing? There is so much information and misinformation out there that it’s kinda hard to sort out what I need to pay attention to. I’d love to avoid changing my tires, but I’d totally be willing to spend the extra cash if it’s going to keep me safe and prevent a blowout.
how old are the tires? if they are 4 years old get new ones carslile HD, or other good manf trailer tires that make sense.. some of the cheap ones are what you pay for... sometimes it cost more to save.. people who buy quality only cry once..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote