Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #1

Tired of me yet? Bad problem

I am so discouraged I could spit or cry. I went to the trailer to keep working on it and get some pictures for the ads. I was also going to try some of the suggestions from the Thread about ideas for helping move the slides.

To late. I needed to lower the roof for some work on it, and the air conditioner, service time? Got the beds in, with help, the slide too, and started the roof down. I was happily lowering it with my Jenie (it does work) when one of the people with me yelled "STOP!!" So I stopped.

It seems that because I could only see one corner and it was going down as it should I couldn't see that another one hadn't moved. I now have/had a roof in an interesting shape, not level and not straight. One of the legs is frozen, will not move, even with effort, lubricant, etc. We did finally get the bottom half of the leg to move, but not to stay up. Only the top half of the leg is staying up and frozen.

It would seem I have to take the roof apart and part of the walls, etc. to find this problem. I don't know where to start. Personally I've been thinking of a small bomb but since it's in my sister's back yard I have ruled this out.

How do I start? I're read some articles and watched some youtube videos but they are always at a certain point, usually with the tents gone, and some if not all of the furniture and cabinets, is all this really necessary?

Thanks, anyone what a really nice, new floor, new water pump new paint, 12HW? Cheap? It does seem to have a small problem or two.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #2

Did you take it up as far as it can go, then start down again. Maybe the safety latch is stuck.

On some models you had to go up a little before starting down.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #3

I'm not looking forward to getting my 2008 Starcraft RT14 going again. It has been setting for a couple of seasons...

Will be finishing up on my new battery bank then I want to move my OFF-ROAD trailer out to my back yard setup area and raise the roof and start clearing all of the dirt dobbers and spiders etc...

I'm pretty sure i will be running into some of the same problems you are having... The old saying is if you don't use it you lose it haha...

I will also need to get it inspection ready and probably will re-grease the hubs. They have only been greased once since I got it... I bet my propane tanks are out of date as well and will have to replaced or re-certified...

My roof raise is 12V electric so hopefully all of that is still working... Since it has been sitting in the front driveway for all this time who knows what lives in it now haha...

I do know on mine I have to be setting pretty level before bringing down the top... The lifter arms have dog latches that pop out when going up to pull up the lifting arm. These latches will bind on mine if it is not level when going back down... Never had one froze up however... I'd raise all the way back up to the top and squirt the crap out of them with WD-40... A good smack with a rubber mallet maybe...

Hang in there - It will all be running like a top soon... The guys that owns boats goes through this every year as well... Always something amiss...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #4

Boy I never knew those Pop-Up Tent trailers were such a pain...Never had one and sounds like I'm glad!

Hope you get it working...I always thought of those little tent trailers as throw away. You only get so many years out of one. Like a tent...they take a beating.

Anyway, good luck with your project!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

RouX - I think this is like your 2006 HW12 POPUP... Interior layout is nice as well...

Gonna be a real nice setup for you...

Google image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
RouX - I think this is like your 2006 HW12 POPUP... Interior layout is nice as well...

Gonna be a real nice setup for you...

Google image

Roy Ken
Roy, I think he is trying to fix so he can sell it. In a previous thread he mentioned moving to a traditional type travel trailer.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux 'b Doux View Post
I am so discouraged I could spit or cry. I went to the trailer to keep working on it and get some pictures for the ads. I was also going to try some of the suggestions from the Thread about ideas for helping move the slides.

To late. I needed to lower the roof for some work on it, and the air conditioner, service time? Got the beds in, with help, the slide too, and started the roof down. I was happily lowering it with my Jenie (it does work) when one of the people with me yelled "STOP!!" So I stopped.

It seems that because I could only see one corner and it was going down as it should I couldn't see that another one hadn't moved. I now have/had a roof in an interesting shape, not level and not straight. One of the legs is frozen, will not move, even with effort, lubricant, etc. We did finally get the bottom half of the leg to move, but not to stay up. Only the top half of the leg is staying up and frozen.

It would seem I have to take the roof apart and part of the walls, etc. to find this problem. I don't know where to start. Personally I've been thinking of a small bomb but since it's in my sister's back yard I have ruled this out.

How do I start? I're read some articles and watched some youtube videos but they are always at a certain point, usually with the tents gone, and some if not all of the furniture and cabinets, is all this really necessary?

Thanks, anyone what a really nice, new floor, new water pump new paint, 12HW? Cheap? It does seem to have a small problem or two.
Do you have the stabilizer jacks down with pressure on them or up? If they're down, lift them off the ground, they may be causing some binding.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #8

Thank you all. I'm going to try to address all points at once, and then wait anxiously for more feedback.

1st. Grumpy, we did try to raise it further, all the way, but were unable to get the one leg(?) moving at all. It's where it is and it doesn't want to move.

2nd. Roy, yup I've gone thru almost everything you've already mentioned, loads of fun. Unfortunately mine was badly neglected for at least two years, but from the state it was in when I got it I'm guessing more like five years. Unfortunately mine does not have an electric lift system, but if I have to take it apart as I think I will, then I'll be installing the one I bought for it.

Yes, that is a picture of the 12HW, don't know if it has the slide out or not but that's my Beast. Yes, it would be a great setup for me, especially with all the work that's already gone into it, but it's not goining to be, I can't move the platforms in by myself, or out for that matter.

3rd. Cabinetmaker, right now I can only agree with you. But in the popups of the worlds defense, they shouldn't and aren't usually this much work, they require maintenance like any other trailer. They sometimes need the tents replaced but not if they're cared for and the trailer is cared for. Some people here have mentioned having the same popup for 10 years or more. Few people, from what I can tell, keep the same RV, TT or popup for that long anyway. The wide open aspect of the popup is one of the things I like the most, fresh air pouring in whenever you want it. It's absolutely lovely. And yes, I'm thinking of moving to a more traditional type trailer. A teardrop maybe? (picture a sardonic chuckle here)

4th Colorado, yes the jacks are down, I use scissor jacks, I can release them and try your suggestion, hadn't thought of that. Thanks, and keeping fingers crossed.

In a little bit, waiting for the hottest part of the day, I'm heading over to start unloading the Beast, he was almost ready to leave in two days (sniff), then I'll starting taking off the tent. Now I can clean the canvas much easier, just find a place to stretch it out. (another sardonic chuckle here).

More advice is always welcome, and I'll keep you all posted. Side note, I'm not editing nor rereading these posts, so if they make little sense that's why.

Thank you all very much.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

I like the bomb idea!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
I like the bomb idea!
You know Dennis I've seriously thought of that but it's to close to my sister's place and she lives in part of her business's shop, not practical I may need her support some day and blowing up the Beast in her yard isn't the best way to do that.

But thank you for your feed back. I like it.

Roux
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #11

Quick update. Every suggestion, except bombing, was tried. Even if it had been tried, but differently, it was tried again. None worked. He's still stuck, and refusing to budge.

We unpacked him, he was ready to leave on Monday baring a few items, like food, and kayaks, but ready. He no longer is, we're planning to attack finding the cables tomorrow, and I'm hunting for a different means of camping, besides in a tent, which I have but don't want to use. Anxiously awaiting more ideas.