Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Top comes down except for an inch or two.

I recently rebuilt a 1997 Jayco eagle 8. (was in good shape). After all the repairs and the top goes down fine until we install the bed cushion, then the top comes down within an inch or two of closing. Is this just learning how to fold the canvas so it closes or ??.
rattangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

My 2010 M-1007 had about an inch when brought down to a "relaxed" position. A little help to finish it off and all was good. Later, I added a gel topper to the king bed at the hitch end of the camper and it needed a little "more" help to latch. I still encountered no problems latching or unlatching over time.

Jerry

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

Had a 96 that was the case as well . Would close within 3/4" . Then I could push it down to latch.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

It is normal to have to push down to latch. probably a good thing otherwise if it went all the way down and something was hanging out it could get damaged
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I thought that to be the case of needing a little help to fully close. I experimented with folding the canvas and found the best way for it to get withing an inch of closing. A little pressure on each corner and it closes easily.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:57 AM   #6

I had same happen to me when I added three inch of foam topper. I can in to the top of mattress thru the open access door and I see both ceiling actually touching the top of foam topper. After seeing this I always do a double take that ceilings lights cannot be turned ON. If I was still using the automotive very hot incandescent light bulbs this could be a serious heat problem for the topper and would melt something for sure... Fortunate for me the LEDs I have installed in the same ceiling lights housing do not get that hot anymore.

When I was using the very hot incandescent 12V bulbs the ceiling area under my lamp housing is all scored from the resulted heat. This was one of the main reasons I changed out the automotive type hot bulbs.

I guess with all of this in mind one probably should wait a couple of minutes after turning off the ceiling lights if you still using the automotive type very hot bulbs before bringing the roof down on top of the tent bed mattress...

My ceiling lights disconnect switch is a push button type switch in the top of the sink cabinet. When the fold over portion of the sink is set up this action will push in the ceiling light push button switch. This is a safety feature installed by Starcraft... Neat being automated so that one doesn't have to remember to make sure the ceiling lights are OFF before lowering the top down. Possible fire hazard for sure... Other popup trailers may do this differently.

I also have installed the two foot carpet square rug sections on top of the wood platform for the tent bed ends. This probably adds another 1/2-inch or more to the top of the tent bed mattress and topper as well.

Pushing down on the top is what I do here as well to get the roof latches to engage. So far no issues with doing this...

My ceiling also has one of those fold down hanger arrangement. I have to make sure this is folded up against the ceiling before lowering the top as well Similar to this photo..

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

I'm glad to see you use simplex

RoyBraddy, I also monitor simplex while camping. Always nice to meet a fellow ham.
Ken - WV4D near Nashville, TN
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Pop-ups sometimes need a little convincing. We became experts on folding the tent sides. Just push it down and latch it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattangle View Post
RoyBraddy, I also monitor simplex while camping. Always nice to meet a fellow ham.
Ken - WV4D near Nashville, TN
Ken we have spent alot time ar ELKMONT CAMP and they have a local repeater close by on 147.195... I could run all over the smokies with my hand held. TN Hams are great rag chewers like we used to do in North Texas on the 7290 HF frequency...

I monitor 146.520 when in travel mode - Used to have a sign on my back bumper that said 146.520... The hams would know what that means...

Hopefully this season we can make it back to Gatlinburg for a couple of weeks... Been shut down here for loss of batteries and finally getting my act together and getting my OFF-ROAD Camper back on the road again. Been sitting since 2017 season.

This is floorplan on my OFF-ROAD POPUP - gots alot of ham radio here...

ALso setup good in my 2010 Truck

All Roy's images

Roy K9PHT since 1957...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #10

I had an issue with my 2003 designer 12F5. I could get the top down except for the right rear corner. No matter how hard I pushed on it or even got on top and stood on it the corner would not close. What I figured out is that the cable to that corner got twisted around the other cables inside the camper. There was nothing to keep the plate that holds all the cables from spinning. I just open that area and twist it back straight. It seems to be doing OK now.

jbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

Problem solved with the camper top.

All it took was a little practice folding the canvas and keeping stuff off the bed cushions and the top comes down to latch position. Thanks for all the help.