Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Total newbie here - what's missing from my new popup?!?!

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are "graduating" from tent camping, and recently got into trailers. Originally, we had bought a 1975 Fleetwood Prowler (17.5' and 3000 lbs!). The HOA at the house we were renting doesn't allow them in the driveway, and the property management company didn't even tell us there was an HOA when we moved in - they fined us $175, so last week I sold the Fleetwood for $500 (same as we paid), and picked up...THIS!

It's a 1985 or 1985 Jayco 1006 Deluxe. Though, it's rough around the edges, so there's not much that's "Deluxe" about it anymore. Still, it will keep us off the wet ground when camping in the wetter months here in WA!

I am researching what I can, but since I've never owned a popup, I'm a little lost. I cleaned out the trailer today, as it looked like it was lived in and the previous owner left a lot of trash/kid's toys/etc inside.

Could you look at some of the photos, and tell me what you notice, what's missing, sources for parts, etc?

The most pressing things to me, that I noticed, were:

- The sink, range, and any water holding tanks seem to have been removed...there's a thin sheet of wood over that area, that still has a sink drain, but no sink. Any idea what they did, what on Earth they were thinking, and where I might be able to replace that stuff?

- There seem to be quick-connect hoses underneath a cabinet on each side of the trailer, but I'm not sure what they're for (black hose, brass connector).

- Most of the latches on the cabinets and drawers are broken. Any idea where to buy these? I like that they lock closed, but only a couple of them are intact.

- I plugged the trailer into house power, and the sockets + overhead lights work. Any idea what the rated amps are? Also, is this supposed to have a battery on board?

- Source for brake and running light lenses?

Anything else you notice, I'd love the info. Thanks so much in advance!

LINK to my Google drive with the photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Dg?usp=sharing
PNWpopuppeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

Hello to you! Congratulations on the new (deluxe) project and welcome to the forum.

There are other 'popuppeople' on this site and, hopefully, they will be able to offer suggestions.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #3

Now - with VIDEO!

Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

What a fun project. Where to start. Hopefully you will find the answers to your questions.
Fist off. To find replacement parts. Look to see if Sixrobblees has a store close to you.

Locations | Six Robblees' Inc.

You should be able to find most of the parts you are looking for there.

Now, to answer some questions.

The sink: some units had a portable type of sink you plugged into the drain once the top was popped up.

The range: Again, some of the older units had a range unit which you either pulled out of an access door or hung on the side of the trailer, and you cooked outside. In one of your exterior pictures the brackets for hanging the range unit appear in the picture (they look like a trim sort of piece)

The quick connect hoses are in fact for the propane. Most likely they were able to be poked out through an access hole and plugged into the portable range.

Yes, the unit should have a battery to power the lights and there should have been a water pump or sometimes a hand pump. In one of your pictures there is a gray hose with a fitting, I would figure this to be water line. The other plastic hose with a hose clamp looks like it should be a breather hose once used to provide and air escape when filling the water tank.

Yes the water tank has been removed.

So for cabinet latches, brake and running light lenses and possibly even the water tank, sink, perhaps a range that can work, look to sixrobblees.

my very first camper was a pop-up. once opened up and set up, I had to open an access door to the right of the main door and slide out a long cabinet type unit which had my sink, cold box, and two burner range. Then the range had to be plugged in with the quick release outside. It was meant for all the cooking and stuff to be done outside.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

If you do a Google search for "1985 Jayco 1006 Deluxe interior pictures", then click on images on the top of the page you will see many interior photos of that unit.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If you do a Google search for "1985 Jayco 1006 Deluxe interior pictures", then click on images on the top of the page you will see many interior photos of that unit.
Clearance light is missing on the back right as well.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the popuppurchase PNWpopuppeople! Sounds like a fun project to fix up the Jayco. There is another forum called RV Itch that may also be a good source for information. I've read many threads there regarding pop-ups and repairing or upgrading them. Hope this helps. Enjoy!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #8

Thank you, all!

I am on the hunt for the clearance light lens. Got her mostly cleaned out today, but the old owner was a smoker and it stinks to high heaven. That is never fun to clean.

Still no leads on those cabinet handles/hardware - I may try Jayco directly. Made a bunch of calls.

Not overly concerned with the water tank or grill, but a sink would be nice. I may get one from Amazon. I found a piece of countertop with a beveled edge under the dinette seats...looks like it nestled into a hole where either a sink or grill once was. No idea what the PO was thinking.

I will keep searching for a good price on a bag awning (cheapest I've found is the Smittybuilt awning on Amazon, $189 I think) and other accessories.

The ONLY other thing I need is a rail stop, as one of the bunks slides out too far and over-extends. I noticed the black plastic stop is missing.

That and a little more cleaning/waterproofing, and she should be good for a test-camp! I will fill you in on the first outing in the next 6 weeks or so!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

Our popup didn't have a grey water tank, but did have a small fresh water one. the sink had a manual pump faucet and the drain connected to a hose that just drained on the ground. My wife and I had just graduated from tent camping and our requirements were very small. We placed a bucket under the sink drain / hose outside and dumped our grey water as 'environmentally' correct as we could figure out at the time. I wont say how... but we only used biodegradable soap and no food went down that drain, it was basically just a place to sleep that had a sink, none of the lights even worked. We used it like a tent.

Sounds like a fun project you guys have. Depending on how long you want to own this one, you can go crazy restoring it, or just do the minimum that meets your core requirements. Good luck

If I didn't have a 3 ring binder full of projects to tackle here at home, I'd probably take on a restoration project on a pop up here at home. One of my dad's best friends makes a living restoring older campers. You can easily make some money on this if you wanted...
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

Your video helped a lot.
First, the sink drain: With the way the bed slides in when folded, a range top and sink were not permanently affixed to that position. Your sink would have been a basin type of thing with a small nipple for the drain. Once all folded out, you would you place the sink on the counter fitting the nipple into the drain hole (sort of a drain in a drain).

The Fridge: Yes, it is a cold box type. you chilled by using ice blocks, which is why there is a drain hole in the rear (my first pop up and my Tiltin Hiltin cabover had them. I would sometimes wrap dry ice blocks in cardboard to keep things chilled).

The propane line underneath that side is meant to connect to a (mostly likely two burner) range top which was designed to be set on the counter and have the feed line drop down through the counter top.

The propane line on the other side is meant to be able to be stuck out through that hole fixture in that side. Then you would take the range top, which was also designed to be hooked into the bracket on the outside of that wall so you could cook outside. Much like many of the portable grills sold today with RVs.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #11

The stove and the sink in that model actually were on a piano hinge and when the trailer was in the storage mode, they tipped over onto the dinette. The stove could be lifted out and used outdoors.

Jayco used the same type of drawer latch forever so any dealer could get them for you but I'm sure you can find them on Amazon or through Camping World.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWpopuppeople View Post
The HOA at the house we were renting doesn't allow them in the driveway, and the property management company didn't even tell us there was an HOA when we moved in - they fined us $175,
are you just down the street from me?

I watched the renters push a 1970's era OpenRoad motorhome up their driveway. Pushed because it won't run. It's blocking the sidewalk and we too have an HOA that I know will have a kitten fit.

I know they'll warn them first; fines are rare and a last resort. But I feel bad for our neighbors.

Anyway - sorry you got tagged by the HOA and congrats on your new motorhome.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
The stove and the sink in that model actually were on a piano hinge and when the trailer was in the storage mode, they tipped over onto the dinette. The stove could be lifted out and used outdoors.

Jayco used the same type of drawer latch forever so any dealer could get them for you but I'm sure you can find them on Amazon or through Camping World.
Exactly. You can see the screw holes still in the top where the hinge was. To get an idea of how to replace it, just go check out a used one at a dealer lot. Our 2008 still had it built this way. Can be made up from some 2X2 and luan.

Note that the water lines would come up through the hole on the left to attach to the sink. Based on the vintage, I'm guessing that it was a hand pump sink with water bottle under the dinette?

I would probably modernize a few things here. Those latch handles are gnarly. I would probably completely remove them and go with a hidden latch system. Ours had regular pulls/handles and detent latches on the inside that never opened in transit.

The outside rails are for mounting outdoor stove or RVQ (using the gas line that feeds from the inside as noted). The rail hanger is available on Amazon if you want to build your own, or you might be able to order the whole "in-and-out stove" from Jayco parts.

The upper rail on the roof is for attaching an awning. Not sure about the eyelets, but by the position I would say it was for the awning rafter poles. Ours had tension poles that rested against the roof side with a rubber "crutch tip". Again, awnings can be purchased after market. Carefree of Colorado is a popular brand.

Since the gas lines are installed inside, I would be interested in tracing where they go. In all likelihood there was a tank on the tongue at some time that was removed. It might be as easy as adding a bracket, regulator, and then getting it re-certified with a drop test to ensure there are no leaks in the old piping.

Older pups had internal water jugs, but more modern units had large rotocast tanks mounted under the floor. Worth considering an upgrade there. There is a large manufacturer that advertises most months in Camping Life magazine who has units for most applications. You would want to add a 12V pump if you don't already have one.

Never seen an ice-box like that; there are 3-way (gas, 120VAC/12VDC) fridge units that will retrofit into that space directly, but would need cutting an access and vent through the curb side wall.

Looks like a fun project. If you are handy and do the work yourself you could have a great unit for very little $$
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote