Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #1

Towing Vibrations

Howdy Everyone!

2017 Jayco 10SD

Our trip today was a little surprising. We loaded everything up the same way we always do. Checked tire pressures and everything was good to go.

When we left the house, we got to about 30 MPH and I started to feel some really bad vibrations (definitely coming from the trailer). Pulled over, checked everything and it appeared fine. My wife pulled forward about 10 feet and I could hear the trailer brakes were squeaking a little bit, but it was raining the day we came home, so I figured the pads had some rust on them, and it was wearing off.

We drove a little further and stopped at a gas station, I checked the air in the tires again, still good. Decided to head back home in case something was really wrong. Got back out on the road, going only about 25 MPH, then the vibration abruptly stopped and was smooth sailing. No more brake squeak either. Went home anyway, checked everything from front to back, and then headed back out.

Got on the highway and the vibration came back around 65 MPH. Usually we feel nothing at that speed (just was out the weekend before last and drove over three hours). Our campsite was only a few miles from home, so I reduced speed and we finished the drive.

Some information:

- Tow Vehicle: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L
- No brake controller. I am questioning if I should get one, it's not required in this state due to the trailer being under 3,000 lbs and when I bought it I asked the dealer, and he said I was good without one.
- Tires are inflated to 80PSI per the sticker on the side
- No other modifications. Vehicle drives fine (no vibrations) when it's not hooked up.
- Nothing stored in the trailer other than food and clothes. Maybe an extra 100lb (WAY over estimating).
- Cooler, dogs and two adults in the Jeep.
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

I am confused. Squeaky trailer brakes, but you do not have a brake controller. What is powering the brakes? Are you sure it’s not loose lug nuts or bad wheel bearing? Maybe a bad tire, inspect the tires closely.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I am confused. Squeaky trailer brakes, but you do not have a brake controller. What is powering the brakes? Are you sure it’s not loose lug nuts or bad wheel bearing? Maybe a bad tire, inspect the tires closely.
I guess nothing is powering the brakes, but they were squeaking. I thought maybe I had a stuck brake, but that wouldn't be the case because without a controller, I'm not using them.

Maybe it's a fluke, I checked the lugs, I guess it could be a bad bearing. We have a 10 hour trip at the end of July, I'll take the tires off and have them checked and I'll scope the bearings and see if that's it.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #4

Do you really have the tires inflated to 80 or was that a miss type.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
80. That is what is printed on the sticker for the air pressure and the sidewalls for the tires. I have a digital PSI gauge and the gas station air pump both read 80 as well.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
Site Team

I'm very surprised about that air pressure spec, also. 50 lbs would be what I would expect for a pop up sized tire.

I would recommend pulling the brake drums and inspecting them, the brake shoes and hardware, and bearings while it's apart.

And I'd also recommend getting a brake controller, just because it's safer. There's different laws for every state, and for instance, you drive to or through New York State, you'd be illegal. Here it's any trailer that weighs 1000 pounds or more.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:44 AM   #7

Get the brake controller. Why cheap out? That trailer has a GVWR of 2250# and you are stopping all of that weight with your Jeep.

All that said take everything at the wheels apart and inspect. You didn't say how old the tires are, one of them could be a bad tire that's causing the vibrations.

Also don't rule out something on your Jeep. It's getting old, even if it has low miles, 16 years is getting to the point where stuff wears and breaks from age as much as mileage. Putting a trailer on a vehicle changes the dynamics of the vehicle. What doesn't make noise in normal driving can show itself when weight is put on it at the hitch. A rear wheel bearing for example. Start with the trailer first though.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
If its a pop up trailer with small tires, 80 is probably correct.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #9

+1 to dismounting the tires and checking over the running gear.

I had a tire on my trailer bust a belt. I could see an "abnormality" when the tire rotated in my mirror while towing down the road, but it could easily have been a little dirt on the tire. Could not feel anything. Got it home and looked closely at the tire while it was mounted on my trailer and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Dismounted the tire and stood it up in front of me and rolled it a few feet, and could see the effects of the broken belt easily and immediately. The tread was significantly "lopsided".

Do you recall clipping a curb on a turn? Or possibly hitting a significant "bump"? Could easily cause internal tire damage.

If those trailer tires are OEM on a 2017 trailer, they probably need replaced anyway.

As for the brakes, I agree you should have a brake controller. Even if not strictly required, it's a good piece of kit to have and will save some wear on the Jeep. That said, check the emergency break-away switch/cables. If that's been activated (it happens), then you could smoke your brakes pretty quick. But I'd think on your set-up, assuming the brakes are working properly, you'd notice if the brakes were suddenly activated at full-force (as is what happens when the break-away plug becomes dislodged). You'd also probably have a dead trailer battery if that happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire 1.JPG  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #10

Having a brake controller is the best addition, because it gives you the option to Manually apply the trailer brakes prior to having to make an emergency stop. Might never need it, but nice to have when you do. It also extends the life of your tow vehicle brakes. Trailer brakes are way cheaper than tow vehicle brakes.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #11

Quick Update - I missed some of the replies, sorry about that.

I did a lot, but long story short: the vibration/wobble is still there.

Now the long story:

I took the tires to Discount Tire, they balanced and inspected them, said they were just fine. The date code on them is 2016, so they're getting to be 5 years old, going to order new ones.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...adial-trail-rh

Those match the size requirement on the label (ST145R12E). Good weight and speed rating, tire pressure matches specs. I don't have any reviews of them, but I trust Discount Tire. I looked around elsewhere online, not may choices for 12's.

I took the brakes apart, everything looks good. They have nice even wearing on them, even though I doubt they were ever used. The person I purchased it from used their mini-van to tow it, they were original owner, so I doubt they had a brake controller. Bearings look real good too, nice and packed with grease.

I did get a brake controller, installed it today and took the trailer out for a spin (after Discount balanced and inspected). I can tell a difference when braking, I don't have to press down as much to get it to stop (even with the controller at 50%). It was a good investment, since the Jeep is older.

To answer someone's question, no curb hits or pot holes (that I remember). I did check the break-away cable, I engaged it manually and then reset it to make sure that it wasn't causing issues.

I'm just surprised because we went out on June 25th, drove 3 hours and a couple hundred miles, not a single vibration on the way there and back. Then the 10 minute drive this past weekend and I felt like I was going to vibrate the car apart. I figure it if the tires were going bad, then I would have started to notice a little wobble / vibration starting, not this violent so suddenly.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Since you've eliminated the tires, brakes, and bearings, and you're sure it's not the Jeep, the only thing left is the trailer suspension. Something broken, or very worn out that just showed symptoms, or the hitch coupler is too loose on the ball and it's oscillating.

Just tossing out some random ideas.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #13

Yeah, I was going to say broken belt too, but sounds like that's been ruled out.

I second the thought of getting under there safely and checking the suspension. Trailers typically have borderline setups.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #14

Well, I already ordered tires. Which j wanted to do anyway, cause these are old

I think that's it. Discount said that the ones I had we're good, however, for s&g's last night I was going to put the spare on and noticed that one of the tires isn't completely round.... I lifted it off the ground an inch and spun it and it would scrape 3/4.

I'll report back when I have the new tires. I'll go over the Jeep suspension and see if I notice anything broken or weird. Same with the trailer.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I guess nothing is powering the brakes, but they were squeaking. I thought maybe I had a stuck brake, but that wouldn't be the case because without a controller, I'm not using them.

Maybe it's a fluke, I checked the lugs, I guess it could be a bad bearing. We have a 10 hour trip at the end of July, I'll take the tires off and have them checked and I'll scope the bearings and see if that's it.
My first thought is wheeling bearings. I would pull the wheels, inspect and repack. Especially if you are going on a long trip.

Your PU GVWR is 2250 lbs. Under 3500 LB electric brakes is not required. You may have a surge brake setup.

Are they original tires? If so, they could be 4-6 years old, there is a date code on the side wall. If they are over 5 years old they should be replaced. Might be starting tread separation. But I'm not convinced this is the issue, as it will sound like a helicopter. and probably not like a vibration.

Are they radial or bias tires? Bias tires commonly get a flat spot on bottom while just sitting. As the tires warm up the flat spot disappears. This might explain why it was so noticeable at 30 mph, and then again at 65 mph, after taking a short break. The tire had some time to mostly work the tire back round, but not completely.

As for air pressure, I would run at the maximum PSI marked on the tire. My little utility trailer tires that is similar to your PU, runs 90 PSI.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My first thought is wheeling bearings. I would pull the wheels, inspect and repack. Especially if you are going on a long trip.

Your PU GVWR is 2250 lbs. Under 3500 LB electric brakes is not required. You may have a surge brake setup.

Are they original tires? If so, they could be 4-6 years old, there is a date code on the side wall. If they are over 5 years old they should be replaced. Might be starting tread separation. But I'm not convinced this is the issue, as it will sound like a helicopter. and probably not like a vibration.

Are they radial or bias tires? Bias tires commonly get a flat spot on bottom while just sitting. As the tires warm up the flat spot disappears. This might explain why it was so noticeable at 30 mph, and then again at 65 mph, after taking a short break. The tire had some time to mostly work the tire back round, but not completely.

As for air pressure, I would run at the maximum PSI marked on the tire. My little utility trailer tires that is similar to your PU, runs 90 PSI.

Good luck
The Jeep didn't have any brake system installed, but I have the tow package, so I added a controller yesterday.

The tires are original, date code is early 2016, so I ordered new tires. $50 a piece, so it's not too much of a cost. I should have them at the end of this week. I thought it could be a flat spot in the tire as well, but after an hour of driving, it did not go away. The trailer only sat a week between trips.

I opened the wheel bearings last night and they look brand new, I repacked them as well.

No sounds other than the vibration, but to be honest, after my test drive last night, it's more of a wobble that is causing vibrations in my steering wheel, and I think it's from a tire that isn't round anymore.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #17

double check the axle for alignment.

my bet is a bad tire... after you get new ones on and balanced see where you are at.

you bought a new spare too right?
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #18

We have a 2017 Jaysport 8SD, so I’m familiar. If you’re tires are the originals, I’d seriously consider replacing them. We started off on a trip this past May and 1/2 hour away from home, one of the trailer tires exploded after vibrating for a short time prior. Our pressures were good as well, and visually(prior to the explosion), the tires including tread looked great. I’m not sure if I hit something, but my belief is that the tire just came apart. We bought 2 new tires, they are Carlisles and run 65 psi as opposed to the originals with 80 psi. We’ve put about 1500 miles on them so far and they run great. Good luck on your mystery-trailer blowouts are no fun.
skip oyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #19

We had the same thing with our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Found out our transmission was going. So I sold it for a 2014 Trail Hawk and that was garbage. Traded that in for a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee fully loaded and had a chrysler tow hitch installed and they installed the braking system as well. Might want to check your transmission. I believe your transmission might going. Not the fault of the trailer.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #20

If you decide to get a brake controller, or if you only want to 'test' if that helps, here's a new product from CURT: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51180

I haven't used it... saw it on the counter at my local dealer. Amazing device.

PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote