Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer Lights - Running, Turning, Brake

I had an issue with my trailer lights - as apposed to the camper lights. I found a simple solution and wanted to share it because I couldn't find the answer in the forum search. I also would like to know if anyone has replaced those lights with LED's.

So my issue... When plugged in to my tow vehicle for the first time this year I was able to get the running (parking) lights to work but not the brake or turn signals. By the time I made it home from the storage yard I had brake and turn lights but no running lights. I thought this was odd so I started testing the harness with a volt meter - just for pass through, no load. Everything worked fine so I decided that I should check the fuses and found the 15 amp running light fuse was blown. When I replaced that fuse the running lights came back on and the brake and parking lights stopped working again. At this point I was a bit confused and test with and without the fuse a few times before deciding I needed some help and started researching the inter-web (or as my father-in-law use to say, checking on some W-W-W's). I found a site that lead me to start checking the ground connection and to finish a long short quickly...I found that the bulbs in the tail lights had a film on them causing them not to ground correctly. I sprayed them down with some carb-cleaner (Goo-Gone would have worked too) and made sure they were clean and dry before putting them back. To my surprise that did it!!! The dirt brass on the bulbs caused a bad ground in the system and wouldn't let both the running and the braking lights work at the same time! Incredible!
--- So I added a few unneeded word in there just to make sure that if someone searched using the same keywords I used they would find this - it's so simple that even someone with basic knowledge of electrical can do this - if you can change the bulb you may be able to fix the issue ---

On to my QUESTION... I want to replace the old bulbs with LED's for brightness and durability. Anyone have any suggestions on this.

===============
2000 Jayco Eagle 14SO
Moose73 is offline   Reply With Quote