Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #21

When you get into the park, be prepared for very long waits if the bison take over the road, I mean hours. The rangers don't chase them off the road. When they take the road it theirs. It's actually one of the fond memories we have, but at the time it was quite a wait.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentz View Post
First they are not hills! I live there and you will be driving hairpin curves and steep grades up and down. Take your time and use your low gears. I drive a 30ft class c and I gear way down. I dont use my brakes very often as I have the engine hold me. The mountains demand your attention as there are beautiful scenic places. There are lots of pull outs so you can let backed up traffic pass. Going down you'll pick up speed much faster than you think and then you hit a curve. On top it's much easier driving and you can just enjoy the drive. Watch for elk and especially moose. Do not take 14A. We call it OMG hill. Hope this helps and makes your trip enjoyable. Dont miss the museum in Cody. Worth your time.
The Big Horns are beautiful and rugged. Our trip west on 14A was an adventure and one I would not take again. I grew up driving in the mountains and feel confident and comfortable in them. Your advice on 14A, which shares 14 on the east side of the range, is good. As we started down 14A west we came upon a pickup heading west pulling a 24-28' trailer. He had found a little rocky area to pull into but there was no way to turn around. There are no turnoffs on 14A west. He looked terrified. Our big car relative to our 3500# trailer was exciting but not scary or even close to dangerous. But your caution and the big warning signs on top are well-taken. We're looking forward to 14 or 16 next time. You live in breath-taking beauty and an area incredibly rich in history and culture.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #23

We used the Good Same route planner which allows you to choose whether in an RV or a car. We did the 80 to Cheyenne route. We tow our 212 QB with a Ram 1500 classic V-6 with the tow package. Easy tow and great trip. We stayed at the West Yellowstone Montana KOA, great park!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #24

Thank you. Pulling the trailer, we will take 25 out of Cheyenne to Casper, then 26 to Shoshoni, then 20 and 120 to Cody. The rest of our traveling around and thru Yellowstone will be without the Trailer. We will be staying at the Cody, WY KOA.

From there, heading to Mount Rushmore KOA. (pulling the trailer) 16 /20 to Worland. 16 thru Ten Sleep, Continuing on 16 to Buffalo. Then 90 to 16 again to Custer. Then 385 to 244 to Mt. Rushmore KOA.

Believe me. I am open to any and all recommendations since I have never been there before.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:52 AM   #25

As long as you'll be in the vicinity while at Rushmore, take in the Crazy Horse memorial(work in progress) and the S Dakota badlands as they are a spectacular sight.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #26

I would definitely install a brake controller before pulling a camper especially on a long trip. It makes your travels much safer and will extend the life of the brakes on your truck. One panic stop might pay for the controller. I recommend the Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control. You can install it and program it yourself. You can program multiple trailer settings in it and there is no reprogramming when you hook to another trailer. I installed one on my Ford Expedition in less than an hour. There was already a 7 pin connector installed at the rear bumper of the Ford. Your Nissan probably has a prewired brake control connection under the dash around the steering column somewhere my Xterra had one. You can order the connector that is plug and play from the controller to the vehicle from Tekonsha. I ordered a harness connector for a Nissan Xterra and the Ford Expedition I have. There is probably a harness at the rear of your vehicle more than likely it has a connector there already even if it doesn't have a 7 pin connector from the factory plugged into it. With the Tekonsha kit you can get an extra mount like I did and switch the controller from one vehicle to to another by just unplugging the harness. Happy camping, God bless, and you will love Yellowstone!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
I would definitely install a brake controller before pulling a camper especially on a long trip. It makes your travels much safer and will extend the life of the brakes on your truck. One panic stop might pay for the controller. I recommend the Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control. You can install it and program it yourself. You can program multiple trailer settings in it and there is no reprogramming when you hook to another trailer. I installed one on my Ford Expedition in less than an hour. There was already a 7 pin connector installed at the rear bumper of the Ford. Your Nissan probably has a prewired brake control connection under the dash around the steering column somewhere my Xterra had one. You can order the connector that is plug and play from the controller to the vehicle from Tekonsha. I ordered a harness connector for a Nissan Xterra and the Ford Expedition I have. There is probably a harness at the rear of your vehicle more than likely it has a connector there already even if it doesn't have a 7 pin connector from the factory plugged into it. With the Tekonsha kit you can get an extra mount like I did and switch the controller from one vehicle to to another by just unplugging the harness. Happy camping, God bless, and you will love Yellowstone!

I have a Ford Expedition. and I do have a brake controller.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I have a Ford Expedition. and I do have a brake controller.
I was responding to the original post. They had asked if they should get a brake controller before their fall trip to Yellowstone. That post has apparently been highjacked LOL. But, I am glad you are getting to make the trip to Yellowstone as well. I made a loop trip out west from Tennessee in 2017. It was my most memorable trip camping we took our time and spent a total of 8 weeks on the trip and 3 of those weeks were in Yellowstone and the Tetons. I came across South Dakota so I recommend Custer State Park and all it's attractions we spent 5 days in Custer State Park Campground and checked out Rushmore, Sylvan Lake, The Needles Highway, Custer, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave N.P., Jewel Cave N.P. it's all good. Sheridan, WY. has the King Saddlery. Loved the tour of Little Bighorn Nat. Monument. Mitchell, S.D. has the infamous Corn Palace and a great Prehistoric Indian archeology site/museum. Devil's Tower, and Badlands N.P. is a must see and a quick stop at Wall Drugs is worth it. Have a great trip and God Bless!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #29

Quote:
I was responding to the original post. They had asked if they should get a brake controller before their fall trip to Yellowstone. That post has apparently been highjacked LOL. But, I am glad you are getting to make the trip to Yellowstone as well. I made a loop trip out west from Tennessee in 2017. It was my most memorable trip camping we took our time and spent a total of 8 weeks on the trip and 3 of those weeks were in Yellowstone and the Tetons. I came across South Dakota so I recommend Custer State Park and all it's attractions we spent 5 days in Custer State Park Campground and checked out Rushmore, Sylvan Lake, The Needles Highway, Custer, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave N.P., Jewel Cave N.P. it's all good. Sheridan, WY. has the King Saddlery. Loved the tour of Little Bighorn Nat. Monument. Mitchell, S.D. has the infamous Corn Palace and a great Prehistoric Indian archeology site/museum. Devil's Tower, and Badlands N.P. is a must see and a quick stop at Wall Drugs is worth it. Have a great trip and God Bless!
I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Thought we could both learn from this thread.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Thought we could both learn from this thread.
Absolutely! I think everyone on here loves the same thing. Spending time with our loved ones and seeing our beautiful country. My goal this summer is to make another western trip. Going southwest this time. Want to take my wife and grandsons across Texas and see Mesa Verde, South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and hit the big five in Utah. I've been to the North Rim, Zion, and Bryce and want to see the other three. Going to hit Southern Colorado on the way home and then swing back across Nebraska. Hoping we can all have a great summer and the COVID doesn't interfere as much this year. Happy Camping and God Bless!
Old 01-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Absolutely! I think everyone on here loves the same thing. Spending time with our loved ones and seeing our beautiful country. My goal this summer is to make another western trip. Going southwest this time. Want to take my wife and grandsons across Texas and see Mesa Verde, South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and hit the big five in Utah. I've been to the North Rim, Zion, and Bryce and want to see the other three. Going to hit Southern Colorado on the way home and then swing back across Nebraska. Hoping we can all have a great summer and the COVID doesn't interfere as much this year. Happy Camping and God Bless!
I can highly recommend The Westview RV Resort in Cortez which is close to Mesa Verde. They have a beauty salon if needed, putting green and happy hour. Great sites with all concrete pads and nice grassy areas between sites. Not pricy either. Enjoy!!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
I can highly recommend The Westview RV Resort in Cortez which is close to Mesa Verde. They have a beauty salon if needed, putting green and happy hour. Great sites with all concrete pads and nice grassy areas between sites. Not pricy either. Enjoy!!
Thanks I appreciate the info. It looks really nice on the website and you're right the price is reasonable. Happy Camping and God Bless!