Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #1

Traveling to Yellowstone

Hello everyone, We are traveling from Illinois to Yellowstone in Sept. We have a 2016 Jayco Sport 10SD and pulling it with a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4×4.

Do we need to install an electric brake control system?

If so what brand can you recommend and where can I get it installed?

Thanks for your help.
The INfamous El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #2

Illinois doesn't require it, but I would never tow any trailer that has brakes without using them. Any RV dealer or even any U HAUL store along with many utility trailer shops will install one.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Look into Tekonsha Prodigy.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #4

Electric brakes are listed as an option on your PU. If you have them, adding a brake controller usually is just plug and play. Your PU is listed as gvw of 2000 pounds.

If you don't have electric brakes, make sure to downshift on the steeper grades.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...s-and-options/

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...es-sport/10sd/

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply everyone.

Jaygiven, is safe to assume I would want to turn off my overdrive when hauling the pop up at all times or just when going up steep grades as you mentioned before.
The INfamous El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #6

I would recommend reading the owners manual on your tow vehicle for towing and shifting instructions.

I turn off the OD when going down steep grades and when climbing steep grades but I'm towing a larger trailer.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
CAG

You may also want to be prepared for winter weather and winter driving. Winter can come early to that part of the world.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The INfamous El Guapo View Post
Thanks for the reply everyone.

Jaygiven, is safe to assume I would want to turn off my overdrive when hauling the pop up at all times or just when going up steep grades as you mentioned before.
Hard to say, without knowing your Nissan, or what will be in/on it.

If you have lots a excess payload capacity, you could run in OD, especially on the flat lands.

If you have a tow mode switch, it will lock out OD.

The big one to watch, is going down hill. Manually downshift on the big down hill grades, to save your TV brakes. Nothing worse than boiling your brake fluid.

One additional tip, before leaving, hose off your radiator, to improve your TV cooling. Do not use a pressure washer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The big one to watch, is going down hill. Manually downshift on the big down hill grades, to save your TV brakes. Nothing worse than boiling your brake fluid.p
X-2 Use the same gear going down as you would going up.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #10

I have a Titan and most all Nissans in the SUV/Truck group use the same transmission scheme mnftrd by Jatco. It is recommended to NOT run in overdrive when towing since the torque converter doesn't lock in overdrive. That can cause enough heat build up to destroy the trans fluid starting a cascade of issues that cost large sums of money. Atf will begin to deteriorate at temps above 178 F and by 10 minutes at 250 F you have about 1000 miles before the clutch bands begin to self destruct. I've added two urls below for you to take a look at.

I have the Big Tow package which gives me a dash gauge for ATF temp and I can watch it climb. I added a trans cooler in series with my aftermarket aluminum radiator to create a safe temp control, but I still don't use OD except on flat interstates. One correction to an above statement: Big Tow in Nissan trucks doesn't lock out OD. It only changes the shift points for 1 thru 3. My advice if you are running the stock radiator, ditch it also. They are notorious for the strawberry milkshake due to the over use of plastic parts. Don't be afraid to change your trans fluid also. ATF does not have infinite life. It's also recommended for towing that every two years you do a drain and fill (as opposed to a complete flush) with J-Matic S or equivalent fluid. There isn't any filter that requires replacement so dropping the pan should only be necessary if a: yours came without a drain or b: it's rusted enough to require replacement.

Also, don't be afraid to add an aftermarket trans temp sensor and gauge if you don't have that option on your dash. It's an easy 'do' with simple tools that will give you real peace of mind.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-mos...sly-expensive/

Transmission temperature/failure chart.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #11

X2 on the prep for winter, clothes, boots, gloves, etc. We did it the last week of August/1st of Sept. and ran into snow but not deep cold. If you camp where there is electricity make sure you have an electric heater for extra warmth as the furnace will burn a lot if it gets cold. Plenty of blankets, maybe electric or sleeping bags are also good.

Great time to be there as low crowd levels but days were very nice. North end was warmer as it was a lower elevation than the south end.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

Planning on heading to Yellowstone the middle of July.
In planning stages right now.
I have 3 different routes I can go from Pennsylvania:

1. 80 to Chicago then up thru Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana and down to Wyoming.

2. 80 all the way across to Denver then up to Wyoming

3. 70 across to Denver then up to Wyoming.

Kids are 19, 18, and 15. Enjoyed watching Little house on the Prairie. maybe see some old west towns, a good Rodeo, Don't really know what is good to go see?

Planning on hitting EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh on the way home for a week there as well.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post

1. 80 to Chicago then up thru Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana and down to Wyoming.

Kids are 19, 18, and 15. Enjoyed watching Little house on the Prairie. maybe see some old west towns, a good Rodeo, Don't really know what is good to go see?

Planning on hitting EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh on the way home for a week there as well.

You will want to get off the Interstate. Your first choice is the closest
https://www.travellerspoint.com/guid...girls%20played.

There are a number of museums etc along this path so allow a couple of days. We did it because my family was closely linked to the area too and I wanted to find old graves.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:

Interstate 80 will take you to Cheyenne and points beyond, not Denver.

If you choose that route, you can take 1-25 north to Casper then head west to Shoshone and on to Thermopolis and Cody, which is a good place to spend a couple days if you have the time.

An alternative route would be to follow I-80 to Rawlins, WY then go NW on 26 up through the Wind River Range and into Grand Teton NP. We took this route on our way home and it is a fantastic drive.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Interstate 80 will take you to Cheyenne and points beyond, not Denver.

If you choose that route, you can take 1-25 north to Casper then head west to Shoshone and on to Thermopolis and Cody, which is a good place to spend a couple days if you have the time.

An alternative route would be to follow I-80 to Rawlins, WY then go NW on 26 up through the Wind River Range and into Grand Teton NP. We took this route on our way home and it is a fantastic drive.
How were the hills/Mountains driving them? What kind of tow vehicle do you have?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 01-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
How were the hills/Mountains driving them? What kind of tow vehicle do you have?
You're not going to run into any real mountains until you get to NW Wyoming. Between Rawlins and GTNP (Moran, Wy.) there were some longer grades, but not terribly steep.

Between Casper and Shoshone is 60 miles of rocks and tumbleweeds. But as soon as you turn north at Shoshone, it becomes an incredible drive through base of a canyon for several miles. After that, think of the backgrounds of old western movies all the way to Cody. Some might call it boring, but I really enjoyed it all the way to Cody.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1.JPG   Capture2.JPG  

Old 01-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #17

Coming out if Cody heading back East. (Heading to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the EAA Air Show) Liike like we need to take route 14 thru the Big Horn National Forest to pickup route 90.
What kind of hills are these, It looks like steep hills on google maps?
Alternative is 14, 30, 20, 31, 16. Any recommendations?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Coming out if Cody heading back East. (Heading to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the EAA Air Show) Liike like we need to take route 14 thru the Big Horn National Forest to pickup route 90.
I've never been that direction, but from looking at the map, I think I would vote for the alternative route. Those are going to be good roads and it looks like you'll miss most of the mountains.

I'm sure someone here will be along that has more knowledge of that area and will be able advise.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #19

Have traveled east out of Cody a couple times without a trailer. The Big Horns are beautiful. 14A is brutal, 14 easier, and with a trailer 16 would be the most sane. Last year we took 14A west with our Tahoe and 16XRB. It was exciting, and 14A offers access to the Medicine Wheel, but I wouldn't do it again. East and west sides are brutally steep, especially from the summit west. Miles of steep grade with no pull-offs. Took it in 2nd to 4th gear and feathered the brakes at times, but that was one of the steepest downs we've traveled in the past 42,000 miles of trailering.

The route I'd suggest is I-80W to I-29N to I-90W to Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower area, then 14 or 16 over the Big Horns to Cody to Yellowstone. The Cody entrance is spectacular. Others have described routes diagonally NW through Wyoming and you can't go wrong with any of them. Lots of spectacular scenery, history, and wonderful isolation. I wouldn't take I-90 to Rock Springs north to Jackson Hole again. There are shorter more scenic routes.

September can be cold; take a ceramic heater. Growing up in Bozeman I recall being snowed on twice during 4th of July picnics in the mountains.

Plan well, be prepared, and have a wonderful trip!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
First they are not hills! I live there and you will be driving hairpin curves and steep grades up and down. Take your time and use your low gears. I drive a 30ft class c and I gear way down. I dont use my brakes very often as I have the engine hold me. The mountains demand your attention as there are beautiful scenic places. There are lots of pull outs so you can let backed up traffic pass. Going down you'll pick up speed much faster than you think and then you hit a curve. On top it's much easier driving and you can just enjoy the drive. Watch for elk and especially moose. Do not take 14A. We call it OMG hill. Hope this helps and makes your trip enjoyable. Dont miss the museum in Cody. Worth your time.
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote