Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Troubleshooting Beeping from Converter

We have a 2005 Jayco Popup camper. Today, after a 3-day camping trip, we had the camper plugged into the garage outlet to clean it and get it ready for storage. We had the air on - and the refrigerator door was open. It was on for approximately 3 hours. Suddenly the converter made the alarm sound. We have since noticed that the lights/fans on the ceiling don't work, and the fan is not working in the converter. Can anyone help us determine what might need replaced? All fuses look good, and outlets work. Frustrated!
kjvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjvest View Post
We have a 2005 Jayco Popup camper. Today, after a 3-day camping trip, we had the camper plugged into the garage outlet to clean it and get it ready for storage. We had the air on - and the refrigerator door was open. It was on for approximately 3 hours. Suddenly the converter made the alarm sound. We have since noticed that the lights/fans on the ceiling don't work, and the fan is not working in the converter. Can anyone help us determine what might need replaced? All fuses look good, and outlets work. Frustrated!
The A/C is still working fine....
Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #3

Hate to say it, but sounds like your converter may be on the fritz. What model is it?
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

The camper is a Jayco Jay Series - Model 1007. Are you thinking it needs a new converter? If so, can I purchase online somewhere - or what would you recommend?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

Just replaced one on my Hybrid. Got the information off the one in the camper, went on line and found the best price and got it in about 3 days. Took my time and a lot of diagramming and replaced it myself. Allowed me to learn what is controlled by what breaker and fuse. About a moderate on skill level but can be done. Just remember to disconnect from shore power and remove your battery before you start.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #6

Assuming you have the same Elixir ELX-30 converter used in my 2005 Baja, here is a paragraph from the User Manual:

"Features:
3. Overload Protection
If your power demand (including lights, motor and battery charge) exceeds your converter output rating and voltage drops to 12.5V, the audible alarm will sound. Simply reduce your power demand by turning off the last item that triggered the alarm, the alarm will stop and your converter will function again."

Keep in mind, they are referring to 12VDC power demand. (household outlets and airconditioning are 110VAC - not related to your problem). Start by turn off all the lights. Check if you might have the refrigerator set to operate on DC. Trying to charge a bad battery could cause an overload so disconnect the battery. You could pull fuses until the alarm stops, which would isolate the circuit that is causing the overload.

If you remove all the loads and the alarm continues to sound, it may just be a bad converter.

A voltmeter would be helpful to actually measure the output of the converter.

good luck!
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #7

It originally came with the 20 Amp Elixir (Jayco PN: 0177902), which is no longer available from Jayco. Elixir model HG20, runs about $140 should be available at most RV dealers, or the replacement one is a 35 amp Jayco PN:0205315 and runs about $210.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #8

The WFCO 8700 series is often recommended on other popup forums. They have the nice feature of a 3-stage battery charger built-in and will fit the footprint of the Elixir.
A good source is http://www.bestconverter.com/8700-Series_c_83.html

Definitely make sure there is not something external causing the overload before replacing the converter.
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #9

I've just had a similar problem start while plugged in preparing for a road trip (Jayco 1006 from 2009). The battery was fairly low when I plugged it in and the alarm went off, as did the inverter's fan. The only trigger for the alarm is plugging it in to shore power.
I have replaced the battery as the old one was not charging well and the alarm has resultantly decreased in volume and the fan no longer cuts in (when plugged into an outlet).
Living 200km from the nearest RV place, I'm tempted to risk the summer just recharging the battery with my external charger or plugging it in and enduring the alarm as long as the fan doesn't kick in (while it charges). Everything seems to work perfectly...other than the alarm. We so rarely camp in places where we plug in, I'm questioning the cost of having the inverter serviced or replaced at this time. Wouldn't mind hearing from some of you on this topic as it appears to be more common a problem than I expected once I started googling about Elixir inverters. Is there no way to disable the alarm?
ArgyllJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #10

Not that I know of.. but its been a while since I tore apart an Elixir inverter