Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Upgrade / replace Stove top

I have a 2005 Jayco 806. The stove top the we have is not working. It is rather old and such. We never use it inside always hang it on the provided support outside. Is there an upgrade or replacement to what we have? Never liked what we have. Barely get a pot of water on the burner and pot of sauce on the other one. Maybe they had smaller pots in 2005. In any case any help would be appreciated.
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

I would just adapt what you have as a platform for any camp stove you like.

In the photo below I adapted the BBQ rack to create a shelf for a Coleman Gladiator stove. You could easily do the same thing by removing the hanging hardware from what you have now and mounting it on a simple shelf.

Note that if you want to use a camp stove you need to either run a hose back to the propane tank, or remove the regulator from the stove to run off the low pressure quick connect fitting on the trailer. Lots of threads here on how to do that.

Love this Coleman stove. It has high output burners that cook so much faster than the old Suburban burners. We actually need to use a diffuser on it for cooking anything sensitive (like eggs).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks Bankr. Good idea. I'll have to look and see if I can take the mount off.

The stove has different burners then I normally see. Looks like a wind guard of sorts. I also notice it doesn't have the sides like most. Doe it do OK in windy situations.
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #4

My 1996 Jayco 1006 tent trailer has a mount on the side for the stove or a table. It also has a propane hookup there for the stove. It's a tent trailer. I don't recommend expecting a large professional chef's stove for it. 2005 ain't so old either. Sounds like you're looking for champagne on a water budget.
DustyMojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

No problems with wind. These Coleman "speed burners" (what we call them, I think Coleman calls them Hyperflame) have hundreds of little gas holes around them rather than just a few large outlets. It's kind of like having a hundred little blow torches under the pot, and it sounds like a torch as well.
We first got acquainted with this burner on my sister's single burner portable stove several years back, it was the go-to burner at camp when you needed water boiled quick. The Gladiator brings them to a regular camp stove. I am pretty sure there are several other Coleman with these same burners now. The wind block is actually built into the burner rings - we've never had a flame out in 3 years.
The black pieces on top are griddle/cooktops (included) - don't often use these; I prefer a regular fry pan with sides as the stove is always just a little out of kilter. Actually took a while to realize that my grill rail was installed crooked at the factory, so if the TT is level, the stove is not; but I did add a shim to compensate.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Depending upon the type of pots and pans, consider an induction cook top. We use a cast iron frying pan and induction top. No issues with wind, use free electricity, etc..
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Depending upon the type of pots and pans, consider an induction cook top. We use a cast iron frying pan and induction top. No issues with wind, use free electricity, etc..
Not sure where you get "free" electricity. Last time I checked, most campgrounds charge a premium for electric sites. We camp probably 50% of our trips on unserviced sites at state and provincial parks. Propane is the only easy cooking option (campfire and charcoal are other options, but not instant heat) unless you have a serious solar setup or a genny, neither of which are free either really.

ETA: reading my post sounds like a preach. Just sayin' that I don't think an electric cooktop is an option for a pop-up camper. Kind of goes against the go-anywhere nature of the beast.

Although I do love induction - our home cooktop is an induction unit and it is a miracle cooking appliance.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

Guess it depends where you camp. On the east coast it is rare to find an area in which to boondock. 95% of campsites have electric hookups included in the fee, hence the "free electricity" comment.

Clearly, your results may vary. Just throwing out options, per the OP's request...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote