Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #1

Vin Location 1991 1006 deluxe

I have a 1991 Jayco 1006 Deluxe that I bought used, lost all the documentation for the PopUp in a car fire. I had never registered it after purchase and before the fire and without a VIN, I can't get it registered or, for that matter can't sell it. I found the location of the tag with pertinent info on it, which is located on the driver's side frame near the front. Problem is, the tag was loose enough on the frame that the lower portion of it snapped off. You guessed it, the VIN was on that missing lower part. Is there any other location that might have the VIN stamped on it? any other way for me to establish the VIN? I've tried to contact the seller, with no help coming.

tia...
2popuppups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:49 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard, Hopefully your luck is improving!

No one has ever posted exactly where they have found alternative vin number plates on rigs from your era. If you find one, please post where it was at.

From my experience they do put the vin numbers in a few spots. All the easy spots are paper, usually on the door, and near the front driver's side corner often on a cargo hold door. I have found hidden vin numbers over the years. Hopefully your 91 has a few hidden vin numbers too.

Crawl under the PU, with a good light. Start along where the rear wall and passenger side wall join. Look straight up at the floor. Good change there is a vin number plate in this area. On my current HTT, I have to be directly under the vin number to see it, off to the side and it is out of sight. On my 2012, the numbers are about 1" tall on a white background, in plan sight and still well hidden. It could be much smaller on a 91 model, and on a metal plate.

Good luck, and happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #3

On some older units it was also stamped into the top of the "A" frame on the driver's side. If it's been painted numerous times may be impossible to even tell without sanding the paint off.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #4

Like Grumpy said, on the top of the frame rail about a foot back from where the coupler is welded on. Looking from the back of the camper it would be left side. This was on a '96 Eagle tent camper.
Very lightly stamped, very easy to paint over. Wire brushing helps, but I still had to rub some chalk to make the numbers stand out a little bit.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #5

By any chance do you have the previous owner's name and phone number? Maybe he could steer you to the company he bought it from. They might have a record of the sale and vin number on file deep in the archives. Who knows. Good luck
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #6

I just looked at my 1993 Eagle 1006 and it is stamped on the Right side A frame about 6” behind where the coupler is welded.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:06 AM   #7

I just bought a 1993 Jay pup & with repair & renovation, had to take out a whole section of cabinet. ON THE WALL under this cabinet ]where the stove was, there is an aluminum plate screwed to the wall with the VIN # on it. Had we not torn out that section of cabinet, I would "never" have found it or known it was there. It IS the VIN # as it matches what is on the blue title.

Hope this helps!
SkeatMyFurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:51 PM   #8

possible VIN?

Update:

I just found a number stamped to the frame itself (was covered with layers of paint). the numbers/letters are approximately 5/8"- 3/4" tall.

I got:

C9 21
M1BM1930 2

Could this be a VIN?

I have yet to try to move the sink cabinet to look at the above mentioned location.

Thanks for all your help with this.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2popuppups View Post
Update:

I just found a number stamped to the frame itself (was covered with layers of paint). the numbers/letters are approximately 5/8"- 3/4" tall.

I got:

C9 21
M1BM1930 2

Could this be a VIN?

I have yet to try to move the sink cabinet to look at the above mentioned location.

Thanks for all your help with this.
It may not be the VIN, but here's a link to a VIN decoder for 1980 to 2015.
Your VIN should look like XXXAJ01XXXXXXXXXX, don't quote me on the total number of digits.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/downl...il/ORG2735.pdf

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:02 PM   #10

You stated that there was documentation that was lost. If there was ever a title issued to you then you can contact the DMV for a replacement title. If it wasn't in your name then whoever's name it was in will need to do this. Once you have a title with a VIN, just engrave the vin on the RV somewhere (or more than one location). ~CA
Old 03-29-2023, 08:03 PM   #11

Thanks to JFlightRisk, I was able to decode the handwritten VIN that was inside the sink cabinet. I had misinterpreted a few of the letters because of the handwriting of the original factory person. By using the decoder I was able to fill in the blanks.

In response to craigav, I had lost all the documentation before I was able to get the title switched over to me, or have it registered to me. I attempted to contact the person I had purchased it from, but he had moved and left no forwarding info.

Thank you all for your help!

Tags
1006, deluxe, location, missing, vin