Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

water pressure limits

I have tried to search the site but not found this seemingly simple one...

The manual says the limit for water pressure is 40psi and recommends a pressure regulator - however, all the regulators I can find on amazon (camco) are 40-50psi. Is this safe? Or do I need to keep hunting for a specific 40psi regulator?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #2

I used a 55 lb for over 40 years and never blew a line. Put it at the spigot to save your hose too!.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I used a 55 lb for over 40 years and never blew a line. Put it at the spigot to save your hose too!.
Good news. I will get one of the 40-50lb ones. Great idea! Did you use a special "non-toxic drinking water hose" as per the manual?

I'm struggling a bit to understand how the water system works in this tent... I have another thread on it (ugh, I have 10 threads going, I'm sorry!) but not getting much traction.

If I have city water, I just hook up the hose and use the taps, right? Will it fill up the freshwater tank when I use that method?

When I am "dry camping" I can fill up the tank by gravity, then I need to have the pump on. The pump will build a head of pressure and come back on when needed, and I believe the pump should be off unless I am using a faucet or the shower. Can I fill the water tank by pressured water through the city line then drive it to the site? Does it work that way?

Does that all sound right?

What I'm unsure of is (per the photo below) there seem to be three valves near the water heater. I assume one is a bypass line for cold and one is for hot (but which is which? Is there a way to run the water system not through the water heater?). What would the valve between the two lines be for? (EDIT: after finding the second and third photo of plumbing I'm gonna say one is the line in, the other the line out, close both and open the third valve to bypass the hot water heater)

I really don't like to use systems without understanding how they actually work, so I'm able to troubleshoot later as required.

Also, Grumpy, if you could be so gracious - would you mind looking at my lubrication and hot water heater/de-winterization threads? Trying to get everything "up to snuff" for the summer, and want to use all the amenities the trailer provides!

Really can't thank you enough for all your help

Edit to add that I've just discovered the REST of the water system and am thoroughly confused about what line is doing what and sending pressured or not water where (photo below)
Attached Thumbnails
water heater lines.jpg   MVIMG_20200708_181458.jpg   MVIMG_20200708_181506.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
CAG

I set mine at 60.

I think most manufacturers test to 100 but recommend much less. I have had no issues in 20+ Years.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

The way your water heater valves are now set is for for normal operation. When you go to winterize the top and bottom valve would be closed and the center valve open. The clear plastic hose by the pump is for putting the antifreeze into the system. You stick it into the gallon jug and open that valve and close the one closest to the bench wall. Your water tank will only fill if you put the hose into the gravity fill on the outside.

Have you sanitized your tank yet? If not change the valves on the water heater, add a 1/2 cup of bleach in the tank, fill with water. Then pump that water through the lines with the water heater top and bottom valves still closed and the center open and let it sit overnight. Then drain the tank and run water through the system using a hose to flush the water out. After doing that change the water heater valves (top and bottom open and center closed) and let the WH tank fill. Also just fill and drain the water tank again but don't worry about running the pump.

The little black valves in the floor are your low point drains.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

I've done some thinking.

The line in from the outside wall is city water. It supplies the cold water faucet and shower. The two lines disappearing under the pump would be a cold water supply and hot water return line, they see the lines that come and go to the heater.

The line up from the floor is the supply from the tank, so the pump can draw water up.

What is the extra line that ends by the table leg there? It's literally an open ended clear water line. Has a shut off valve but the other end is open. For adding antifreeze so the pump draws it maybe?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #7

Ah ok I see you've just told me all that haha!

How do you "pump that water through the lines"? Turn the pump on and run each water line until water comes out?

I think the manual says to sanitize the hot water tank, too. Why does the wisdom here seem to be otherwise? You're not the first to tell me not to sanitize the hot tank.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
Ah ok I see you've just told me all that haha!

How do you "pump that water through the lines"? Turn the pump on and run each water line until water comes out?

I think the manual says to sanitize the hot water tank, too. Why does the wisdom here seem to be otherwise? You're not the first to tell me not to sanitize the hot tank.
Yep, turn on the pump and when you smell chlorine in the water your done. As to sanitizing the water heater you normally don't drink that water. You don't need to winterize it (just drain it) since it has plenty of expansion room.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Yep, turn on the pump and when you smell chlorine in the water your done. As to sanitizing the water heater you normally don't drink that water. You don't need to winterize it (just drain it) since it has plenty of expansion room.
Works for me! The manual has a slightly different mix for chlorination... Attached some images. Is this 4 hours method fine too or preferable to do it as youve described?

If I use the hot water tank - after I'm done using the shower and I don't need hot water do I turn off the heater and drain the tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200708-190703~2.jpg   Screenshot_20200708-190750~2.jpg   Screenshot_20200708-190800~2.jpg   Screenshot_20200708-190822~2.jpg   Screenshot_20200708-190832~2.jpg  

AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #10

I was never in a hurry so I always let it sit overnight.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
I was never in a hurry so I always let it sit overnight.
Makes sense.

If I use the hot water tank - after I'm done using the shower and I don't need hot water do I turn off the heater and drain the tank?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #12

I never turned it off until we packed up to leave, but that was just me. The same about draining. The only time I drained it was if the CG had well water and we weren't going back out for a couple weeks after we got home. If it was chlorinated city water it didn't get drained until the end of the season.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
I never turned it off until we packed up to leave, but that was just me. The same about draining. The only time I drained it was if the CG had well water and we weren't going back out for a couple weeks after we got home. If it was chlorinated city water it didn't get drained until the end of the season.
Ok! I'm kind of getting into parallel threads now as Lake Huron is answering this too in my other one but may as well get multiple opinions - if left on, (I assume above pilot? Or on pilot setting until I need it?) Will it just cycle on and off to keep water hot? How much propane does that go through, and is it loud at night? We have a single tank of propane.