Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

What is the outside light

New to us pop up, I believe it's a 1999. What is the light to the left of the door, outside, it's Amber Colored. There is a little light on there that blinks red, not sure what this is. There also appears to be a spot to plug something into it as well, what is it???
akoecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

The amber light outside the door is the porch light. It should have an ON/OFF switch on it.

Not sure about the little red blinking light.

And most pop-ups come with two outdoor AC outlets so you can plug in electrical appliances if the trailer is plugged into shore power. If it doesn't work, try finding another outlet inside with a GFI button, which should reset all of your AC outlets. If that doesn't work, there should be a 15 amp breaker in your electrical panel. It may look like it's ON, but cycle it all the way OFF, then back to ON again.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

The amber light is almost certainly just a porch light - amber because it attracts fewer bugs. From your description, I'm not sure whether that light itself is blinking red or you have an blinking red light on/near it. If it's the light fixture itself, the light it gives off should be amber and not blink. It could be that someone replaced the external bulb with the an LED that's blinking because it's going bad. I've heard that certain LEDs show up as red when they are put behind an amber lens, but I forget the specifics - maybe it was an amber light behind an amber lens that did it. If there's a separate red blinking light, I'm not sure what it would be. Taking a picture would probably help us identify it.

Does the receptacle you're referring to look like it would accept a 1/4" microphone plug? If so, you'll probably find some identical ones inside, mounted on your ceiling or on the lights closest to your front/rear bunks. That's a 12v connector, typically used for bunk-end fan-lights.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

The blinking light could be from a retrofitted motion sensor light.

I installed one on my old trailer. It was really nice approaching the totally dark campsite and have that light come on automatically.

The red light indicates motion noticed and there is a sensitivity adjustment. There should also be an ON time limiter as well.

The main lamp won't come on during daylight to conserve power.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote