Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Wheel bearings

How do i determine the correct wheel bearings for my 1997 starcraft galaxy pop up. I have had the pop up for 3 years and think it needs replacement.
joepopup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepopup View Post
How do i determine the correct wheel bearings for my 1997 starcraft galaxy pop up. I have had the pop up for 3 years and think it needs replacement.

When you pull them out, they have numbers on them. Take them with you when you get new ones to be sure.
Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I believe the axle is manufactured by Dexter Axle.., there should be some axle numbers (model, weight rating, etc.) on the axle that you can reference with a call to Dexter Axle, they will have all the data as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

There is an axle tag on most axles with all the pertinent details so you can look up the info. It is an aluminum band crimped hanging free around the axle. That being said, it can be an exercise to find out exactly which bearing you may need. I have found that axles may change what bearings they use from one year to the next so there may be several possibilities. The only way to know for sure is to pull the bearing out and look at them. This is what I did. My dealer does repacks for $169. I had no idea how the bearings were since I bought the trailer used. I had him replace all the bearings and seals since the cost of the bearings and seals is minimal compared to the labor. I kept the old bearings for spares which were all in great shape BTW. So now I have four complete spare sets already packed. Piece of mind is worth a lot. FYI, he told me off the top of is head what bearings were needed for that trailer without even looking.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote