Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #1

Where's water coming from?

Hello!
Newbie pop up owner here - we bought a 2007 Jayco 806 last fall. We had just enough time to test pop it in our driveway before winter. It’s been stored in the garage since then. While it was up we had some precip and noticed water running down the interior hard walls in a couple spots – basically behind the seats on either side of the dinette area. Specifically, the water was coming from underneath the cap that sits on top of the hard walls. We plan to fully re-seal the whole exterior this spring since it’s probably time for that anyway, but I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are as to where this water might have been coming from to get under that wall cap. I’m thinking it’s gotta be either a seam where two pieces of cap meet, or where the roof support posts come up through the cap. Any other thoughts? Anyone else experienced this before?
In the pics it’s hard to see the drips running down the wall but you can easily see the wetness where they reach the bench lid.
Attached Thumbnails
806 diagram leaks circled.png   IMG_8657.JPG   IMG_8662.JPG  
PopandChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:48 PM   #2

If an 806 is a pop up, it’s probably bad butyl tape under the metal trim strips on the roof. If you pull the white plastic center filler strip back, you will probably see rusty screw heads which many times mean water intrusion. Over time the tape gets hard and cracks.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #3

My 1006 has three trims strips one down each side front to back and one down the center. I had a leak at the back corners of mine that rotted the entire back out, all the inside wood.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #4

Colly: Thanks for your insight - yes, 806 is a pop up. We've already got supplies to replace the butyl tape and plastic trim, and re-caulk everything, so hopefully that does the trick. If the leak entry is in the roof, as you suggest, what path would it be following to show up from underneath the cap on the lower wall?
PopandChips is offline   Reply With Quote