Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

Will be selling in spring

Good Afternoon,

I've got a good question for you all. We live in Ontario Canada. But we are a border city with the upper UP in Michigan (so selling to someone state side is an option). We will be looking to sell our pop-up come Spring. It's a 1992 Jayco Eagle (off hand I cannot recall the model number).

It's got a King bed on one end, Queen on the other end, a side slide out that has the dinette in it; it also has a u-shaped seating area just in front of the king bed (where the table can be moved to). So in all 4 possible sleeping areas. I've never seen a set-up quite like it in a pop-up. I also know that it is 25 feet long once it is set up.

I've done a quick pieced together rendering using Paint to show roughly the campers layout.

We bought it 2 summers ago from our neighbours and have redone quite a bit on it since purchasing it. All new brakes, new step and fixed the levelers.

My question is how much either in Canadian or American would you say that we could realistically ask for it? Or hope to receive from selling it?
Attached Thumbnails
1992 Jayco Eagle.jpg  
carlamacewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

You might want to confirm your model and year with Jayco - just grab your VIN number and reach out. I found the '92 manual at Cunningham and it only lists an Eagle 8 or 10, neither of which match your floorplan, the weight ratings for the Cardinal seem to be closer to something with a big slide like that.

Once you know for certain you can look up the price on NADA guides. A clean '92 Eagle 10 lists for $1,600 (was a bit more than $5k new). Not bad for a 25 year old camper. There are many factors that can affect price, but the guide is a good start.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

Sounds more like a Cardinal to me than an Eagle. Great pop up. Good Luck.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

Thanks

I will try to dig up the VIN in our paperwork from when we purchased the camper and then contact Jayco in regards to what model it is exactly.

Thank you for your help so far
Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Site Team

You could advertise it for 2500 and see what happens, room to come down then.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Just found this

Just found this YouTube video

This is our pop-up exactly. Looks like it might be a 1999 Jayco Eagle 12SO.

Ours is in mint condition compared to the one they show on this video.

Does anyone have more information or the original floor plan for this?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #7

price it to high and nobody will consider it or just low ball you.. Then when you lower your price they will wait till you lower it some more... Unfortunately a trailer that old you may get out what you put into it...

$1600 is probably a good starting point... it is 25 years old..

spring is a good time to list.. look at others that are similar and what they are going for... that is the competition.. so if someone puts up a 2009 similar one.. for $1500 your price will likely change...

Good luck...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

I saw a few popups in my area listed last spring/summer. None asking less than $3,000, and they were either as old or older than mine. And they weren't in the shape ours is in, nor did they have the extra slide.

I think they may be priced higher because of the area we are in. We don't have a "major" city centre that close to us, and some may sell to Americans, so $3,000CAD is about $2,400USD currently.

The input is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
price it to high and nobody will consider it or just low ball you.. Then when you lower your price they will wait till you lower it some more... Unfortunately a trailer that old you may get out what you put into it...

$1600 is probably a good starting point... it is 25 years old..

spring is a good time to list.. look at others that are similar and what they are going for... that is the competition.. so if someone puts up a 2009 similar one.. for $1500 your price will likely change...

Good luck...
Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #9

The VIN is also on the registration green slip for the trailer plate, which you should be carrying with you whenever you are towing. I have only been asked for the slip once (US customs), but you should have it with you when towing.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #10

Sold my 98 12udk this fall for 1500 to a friend. I had people banging down my door asking 2500 for it on Craigslist. I didn't redo anything but I did fix everything and it came with 2 screen porches and an extra usable awning. It was just a well used in good shape popup. 2000-2500 I think is your sweet spot.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #11

I listed my popup in January planning on having it sit until spring, but the lack of local inventory actually caused so much interest that I got more than I asked for it!
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

Did whomever buy it from you buy it site unseen then?

I would list our now but we'd never be able to get it opened up for someone to look through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
I listed my popup in January planning on having it sit until spring, but the lack of local inventory actually caused so much interest that I got more than I asked for it!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #13

No, I did keep it covered in my driveway. I had posted it on Craigslist with many recent photos. The first weekend we had snow and I had taken a few calls but told them due to the snow I could not open it. The next weekend I was able to open it, had five families come to see it and sold it that weekend. I had purchased it new in 2002 -Jatco Qwest 10V. It was very basic, but in perfect, clean condition with everything working as it should. I paid about $4200.00 new in 2002, sold it for $2500.00 in January 2017.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #14

That would not be possible here, our weather is not consistent enough to get our opened up until likely late March (at the earliest)

Is Craigslist more popular in the States? Our town uses two different online sites for free ads; Kijiji and an online news outlet. Craigslist is not popular here.

You sold it for a very good price!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
You have the original Pop-Up with a slide! The Eagle was the first pop-up on the market with a slide-out! I remember them well. Being 10 minutes from the Canada / US border, i used to buy pop-ups over in Michigan, bring them back here to Windsor, and make money on them. One of the local dealers were selling me their rentals ( 10' Starcrafts), and one nice High Wall Starcraft that i sold and made enough to put an above ground pool in the back yard! Ah, those were good days, but Canadian money was at par and a bit higher than US at the time. The folks that bought my High Wall actually came down from Kincardine and bought it, that was in early spring. I remember telling anyone interested i was not going to open it cold, good chance of damaging plastic windows. But, back to your situation.... to some, the trailer may seem old, to me, it's at a time when Jayco ruled the pop-up world, they had the best! The slide is a bonus in that era. I think you are right on the $3000,may seem high to our US friends, but it is different here in Canada. Remember one thing, the price of new pop-ups has gotten stupid, where they have almost priced 'em into extinction. Good used ones are hard to find. If yours is clean, well maintained, you may have a little jewel there. Sell it on Kijiji, list it in the major cities closest to you ..... like the field of dreams, if you have the right thing, they will come! Good Luck!
Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #16

I'm at the stage right now where I've had it advertised for awhile on Kijiji and some Facebook sites; nothing has come from Kijiji yet. But it is still much too cold to open it up and we are getting a big snow storm over the next few days. So it will still be awhile.

But so far it seems as though all the people are really interested and do not mind waiting for the warmer weather.

I'm glad that you do not think $3,000 is too high. I know these units with the slides are hard to find (especially in a small city).

I hadn't thought about advertising in larger cities as anything "large" is anywhere from a 6-8 hour drive away.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes once we get the weather for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
You have the original Pop-Up with a slide! The Eagle was the first pop-up on the market with a slide-out! I remember them well. Being 10 minutes from the Canada / US border, i used to buy pop-ups over in Michigan, bring them back here to Windsor, and make money on them. One of the local dealers were selling me their rentals ( 10' Starcrafts), and one nice High Wall Starcraft that i sold and made enough to put an above ground pool in the back yard! Ah, those were good days, but Canadian money was at par and a bit higher than US at the time. The folks that bought my High Wall actually came down from Kincardine and bought it, that was in early spring. I remember telling anyone interested i was not going to open it cold, good chance of damaging plastic windows. But, back to your situation.... to some, the trailer may seem old, to me, it's at a time when Jayco ruled the pop-up world, they had the best! The slide is a bonus in that era. I think you are right on the $3000,may seem high to our US friends, but it is different here in Canada. Remember one thing, the price of new pop-ups has gotten stupid, where they have almost priced 'em into extinction. Good used ones are hard to find. If yours is clean, well maintained, you may have a little jewel there. Sell it on Kijiji, list it in the major cities closest to you ..... like the field of dreams, if you have the right thing, they will come! Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #17

Sold!

Just though I would update this and let you all know that our pop up sold.

We did an open house on Sunday since we had 60F weather (15C for us Canadians). We had a few people come and look at the pop-up. One couple was very interested and came back twice; and they came back on Monday evening and we showed them how to take it down and towed it to their house for them.

They seem really excited to start camping with their kids and grand kids, and we are excited that someone else will love it as much as we did.