Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #1

wind

New to the forum. 2013 Jayco series 1207. We were in a sudden thunderstorm in Kansas. Felt like 50 mph winds coming at the side of the camper. We went to the truck for an hour. Wondering what is the maximum wind a pop-up can take before overturning?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

John,

Welcome to JOF

To many variables involved to answer your question, and hopefully one doesn't find out! IMO 50mph winds is a challenge towing anything and time to take a break.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
John,

Welcome to JOF

To many variables involved to answer your question, and hopefully one doesn't find out! IMO 50mph winds is a challenge towing anything and time to take a break.

Bob
Thanks for the response. I should have said we were set up in the camp ground and not towing on the road.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I think you did what was best. When you are not comfortable, the truck would be safer. In general, I am always more concerned with pine trees falling in high winds, than a camper flipping when setup.

My guess based on observation, is that the trailer is safer with the stabilizers down camping. I have seen a parking lot of 6 Aliners flipped, but we had a 100 MPH gust that day and consistent 80+gusts for hours. None of the larger campers moved that day, and none of the Aliners had their stabilizers down.

The only time I have seen campers that were camping flipped was in a F1 tornado.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

I think the end beds are the most vulnerable to damage. Anything is possible but we experienced heavy storms in our popup back in the day when tornadoes were documented hitting the CG on the other side of the park. We grabbed the kids and cuddled up on the floor of the main shell.

When in doubt evacuate to the TV or closest bathhouse.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #6

When we experience high winds at the coast we hook up the car and WDH with the stabilizers down. The car is 5k lbs. so it seems to help keep the trailer steady.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Team

As Rustic Eagle mentioned there are toooooo many variables.

My thoughts about a pop-up camper would be with any major storm approaching, head for some protected area, (brick bath-house, office...)

As for a TT:

The primary consideration would be the direction of the wind hitting a TT. If the TT had its slide out, that alters the TT's center of balance. You now have 500+ pounds hanging over the end of the TT on the drivers side (in our case). If the wind was hitting the TT on the curb side, needless to say that the amount of wind needed to overturn the TT would be less than if the slide was not out at the time. From the back or front the TT would be able to withstand a higher wind speed.

When we first got our TT we were dry-camping in western Nebraska (open area) and there were tornados forecasted all around us and they did touch down around us. One of the local's that was out every weekend said that we should pull in our slides for high winds. I thought that that was some good information, so I contacted JAYCO to see what they had to say and they agreed that the slides should be pulled in in any high wind storms. Have been doing that ever since.

When we left the next day to continue our trip to Colorado, along the highway there were Semi's overturned in the ditches along the interstate. Lucky us!

As for any storms with an updraft all bets are off.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Site Team

I would be concerned about the family safety in a cg with 50mph winds. To many variables to have rules but my judgement would be to get to a bath house or structure that is safe. Pull slides / awnings and put down stabilizers if you have time.

We have been evacuated from several cg's over the years due to high winds and tree concerns by the cg staff. Wheels are good on a camper!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
snip..... I should have said we were set up in the camp ground and not towing on the road.
When I read "We went to the truck for an hour"...., I just assumed you meant 'truck stop'.

But I agree, sitting in a PUP at a campsite with constant 50mph winds might cause one to move to a more "planted" structure.

I had sustained 50mph (plus) winds hitting the side of my prior Eagle TT while camping in near Albuquerque a number of years ago...., had to move to a different campsite because my tongue jack was moving on the wood base. Purchased my first set of Bal X-Chocks that trip!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote