Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Wiring a new converter into old panel

got a `92 Cardinal 6 Designer series that the old converter is kaput. I ordered a Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Power 9200 45 amp converter/charger to replace it and I am looking for any tips anyone might have about wiring it into the old distro panel. Am I pretty much good to scrap everything but the little 3 fuses and split the wiring out of the DC side into the back of the three fuses and the battery line? I plan on installing a new 110v outlet to plug the new converter into. Now to figure out a good spot to mount it at as I do not think that it will fit into the old converter's original mounting position.
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This past winter I also upgraded my old IOTA converter/charger to a new PD unit. I left the old IOTA attached to the back of the Load Center (fuse/breaker unit)..... would have been a chore to get at it anyways. Also, my IOTA still worked fine so it can be used as a back-up.

I was able to locate the new PD unit about a foot above the Load Center unit by placing it on an existing lower shelf (had to remove one existing shelf). I have yet to install a grill over the opening shown in the following pic:

I basically disconnected the IOTA wiring from the Load Center and landed the PD unit's wiring in it's place. I also added a new 110 receptacle for the new PD. The three fuses for the old IOTA ere located in the Load Center, had to leave them in for the Load Center to function properly, so with the PD fuses I'm well protected.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #3

I did much the same as RUSTY EAGLE did and added my PD9260C Smart Mode Converter in a stand alone new location. My WF8945 Converter was still in good shape so I just left it in place and just flip the 120VAC Breaker for it to keep it turned off. This becomes a back-up unit me as well.

I installed my PD9260C as close as I could get it to the battery bank inside a my cabinet that house the Water Heater. The PD9260C is around 5-feet away from the battery connection. The PD9260C unit has the DUAL 12VDC connections lugs so it was easy to route the 12VDC cables from the WF8945 unit and connection to the PD9260C terminals and then continue on the to the battery connections. I also installed a new 120VAC Receptacle inside the Hot Water cabinet location that is on its own 120VAC Breaker in the Power Distribution Panel. I ran 4AWG new cables from the existing WF8945 connection to the PD9260C and on to the Battery Switch terminals... All of my battery setup connections use 4AWG size cables.

This worked out good for my OFF-ROAD POPUP setup...

This is a floor plan of my OFF-ROAD POPUP

This is the front panel of my PD9260C showing the DUAL 12VDC connections

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

Sounds like I am on the right path. Thanks for the inputs
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Ok. Got everything in and wired in. I just wired the converter straight to the battery with the heaviest gauge that would fit in the converter connections then ran power back from the battery to the fuse panel. Sound right to everybody? Everything works and doesn't blow fuses. I also got my backup lights and 12vdc tow vehicle lines hooked up. Couldn't believe the previous owner had a 4 pin trailer connector on it!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the way mine is wired.
I had my converter go out this Spring and replaced same with same.
Now that you have it correctly installed, the next one will only take you 20 minutes.

Nice work.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote