Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Wiring Harness Question

Hi All,

Newb here. Looking to purchase a mid to late 90's Jayco pop up. Need to throw an after market hitch on my Jeep first before I can even go and start looking at one. Is there a universal type of wiring harness that I should use? Was thinking of using this one http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2012_Jeep_Grand+Cherokee.htm. Will that work? Any advice at all or a point in the right direction would be appreciated..

Thanks!!
ToddO
toddjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am assuming the Pop up only has a 4 connector flat plug?
My Pop up has electric brakes and a 7 connector round plug.
You may want to call eTrailer directly on their 800# and see if they have something specific to your vehicle.
My TV was pre-wired in the rear for hitch wiring.

FYI,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Thanks Doug. Well, I guess I am wondering what most Jaycos come with - looks like either a 4 connector flat or 7 connector round? Finding something that fits my car should be easy - just want to make sure it fits the pop-up. Trying to get something installed so I can start shopping. So should I just hook up a 7 connector round to it and if necessary I can put an adapter on it? Im thinking a Jayco 1207 for example. Thanks Im clueless.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

The type of trailer connector you'll find will vary. There are three possible types, 4 pin, 6 pin, 7 pin. The 7 pin is the newer standard. I just installed a connector on my 4Runner, and it has both a 4 pin and 7 pin. I purchased it and a brake controller kit from etrailer, I would recommend them.

To answer your question specifically, most Jaycos with electric brakes came with 6 pin connectors until recently when they switched to 7 pin. My trailer originally (2002) came with a 6 pin, but a previous owner mutilated it into a 4 pin. I switched it out for a 7 pin, but still need to do more wiring to get the brakes working properly.

My advice is to put the 4/7 pin connector on your tow vehicle, and convert your camper to 7 pin. The only trick is if the camper has a 6 pin when you purchase.. you will want to inquire with the seller and perhaps secure an adapter to tow it home.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
The type of trailer connector you'll find will vary. There are three possible types, 4 pin, 6 pin, 7 pin. The 7 pin is the newer standard. I just installed a connector on my 4Runner, and it has both a 4 pin and 7 pin. I purchased it and a brake controller kit from etrailer, I would recommend them.

To answer your question specifically, most Jaycos with electric brakes came with 6 pin connectors until recently when they switched to 7 pin. My trailer originally (2002) came with a 6 pin, but a previous owner mutilated it into a 4 pin. I switched it out for a 7 pin, but still need to do more wiring to get the brakes working properly.

My advice is to put the 4/7 pin connector on your tow vehicle, and convert your camper to 7 pin. The only trick is if the camper has a 6 pin when you purchase.. you will want to inquire with the seller and perhaps secure an adapter to tow it home.
Sounds like a good suggestion.

The other option is to find the PU you want, place a down payment, install the correct plug and pick it up a couple days later.

Installing the plug and brake controller shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #6

i would use the 7 pin connector, it can easily be converted to a 4 pin and I believe if you have a 6 pin there is just one pin that does not have wires hooked to it.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

OK Great. Thanks all for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know what I come home with! Cheers!