Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Water Heater - Gas or Electric? (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/water-heater-gas-or-electric-17314.html)

bigmike585 01-29-2014 04:13 PM

Water Heater - Gas or Electric?

Been using my trailer now and with 3 or 4 people wanting a shower wonder which setting, gas or electric, for fastest recovery time?

There may be no difference at all. It's only got a 6 gallon heater, so I'm not expecting much, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

outofhere 01-29-2014 04:30 PM

Have always found that the gas setting recoverd at a much faster pace just like my home water heater to save money at night I will switch it over to electricity then back to gas in the morning

Rolling Thunder 01-29-2014 05:46 PM

You can use both at the same time.

Crabman 01-29-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder (Post 171986)
You can use both at the same time.

Yep, this will give you a faster recovery.

Tex1961 01-29-2014 06:22 PM

Big expert here (NOT). But run your electric during normal times to just keep hot water around for dishes, washing hands, small things like that. Right before everyone starts their showers hit the gas button as well. Once finished go back to electric only. Our one and only outing with our new TT we did just electric the 1st night and it struggled over 3 showers. The second night I hit the gas and had plenty of hot for 5 showers.

lx22f/c 01-29-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex1961 (Post 171993)
Big expert here (NOT). But run your electric during normal times to just keep hot water around for dishes, washing hands, small things like that. Right before everyone starts their showers hit the gas button as well. Once finished go back to electric only. Our one and only outing with our new TT we did just electric the 1st night and it struggled over 3 showers. The second night I hit the gas and had plenty of hot for 5 showers.

That is what we do also!!!

Redhorse 823 01-29-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Hmmm good plan. I ran both at first then thought wait I pay for gas and eclectic is included in the camping fee...

joe in calif 01-30-2014 02:57 AM

I'm not sure how big my heater is on my 2012 29 RLDS but I think it's 8 gals. There is only 2 of us and I never use gas only electric and we never run out of hot water.

Ladywendolyn 01-30-2014 09:30 AM

Before you fiddle with the gas/electric, the best way to extend your hot water is to purchace one of these oxiginated shower heads. They double the shower length you can take. Definetly one of the smartest purchaces we have made for our RV. Here is a link to one at camping world..http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...it-white/68324

Camper_bob 01-30-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

+1
6 gallon tank, 2 showers, DW washing her hair, dishes... Still plenty of hot water... Turn the gas off (leave the electric on) right before bed, and we're GTG.