Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Leaving dogs in travel trailer? (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/leaving-dogs-in-travel-trailer-19197.html)

galakelady 04-29-2014 09:00 PM

Leaving dogs in travel trailer?

Newbie question here. I know many people take their pets on trips with them. We plan to travel with our two small Cavachons. Is it safe to leave them in the travel trailer for a few hours while we go sightseeing or out to eat? We would plan to leave on the air conditioning but am concerned about the power going out and leaving them in a hot travel trailer. What do you do?
Thanks.

galakelady
2015 Jayco Ultralite X213
Ford F-150
Lexus 570

Larry G. 04-29-2014 09:04 PM

Not just travel trailers but any RV.

We leave the windows open.

But stay to your plan of only a couple of hours.

Jmooney 04-29-2014 09:04 PM

:DDogs like sightseeing too.....

Larry G. 04-29-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmooney (Post 193986)
:DDogs like sightseeing too.....

Our 2 cockers do also and would rather be with us.

But....the rig is going to be cooler than a hot truck if you get out and explore, shop or whatever.

Jmooney 04-29-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry G. (Post 193989)
Our 2 cockers do also and would rather be with us.

But....the rig is going to be cooler than a hot truck if you get out and explore, shop or whatever.

I agree, they will be fine, but if they wag their tails, and say they want to come along.......

galakelady 04-29-2014 09:20 PM

We plan to take them sightseeing anytime dogs are allowed, but I know there are some places they cannot go. Thanks for your input.

Jagiven 04-29-2014 09:30 PM

If we leave ours at the tt, depending on the weather, we leave the roof vent open, and a f w w windows. If it will be hot we turn on the ac. We lots of water. She does not bark much, but I still close down the shades, to encourage her not to look out and bark.

clubhouse 04-29-2014 10:01 PM

We too leave our dog in the TT at times. Heat is really the main concern. If it's an acceptable temp our dogs have stayed as long as 6 hours...not often nor ideal to stay that long but at times it is what it is. They just lay on our bed or couch and watch out the windows. Not to different than at home.

clutch 04-29-2014 11:34 PM

We leave our dog in the trailer for short periods of time. We leave either the heat or AC on depending on what is comfortable. When we leave Abby she goes to the sofa or bed and sleeps. If your dog barks when you are gone do not leave it in your trailer to irritate the neighbors.

Canadian couple 1983 04-29-2014 11:38 PM

Usually we will only leave them for short times and usually if it's hot we leave AC on for them.... If traveling far we find people to watch them as it makes travel easier for us! Plus the 1 dog gets stressed now with travel