Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Fifth Wheels (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Satellite TV Connections (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/satellite-tv-connections-24675.html)

Cheetah053 02-01-2015 05:08 PM

Satellite TV Connections

I'm getting ready to purchase a Winegard Travler SKM-SWM3 roof top satellite for my Jayco 361REQS. I would like to hook up to the TV in the rear living area and the TV in the bedroom (as well hookup to the coax in the storage belly for using a tv outside). Does anyone have experience hooking one of these up? The installation instructions from Winegard indicate that the splitter can be used inside or outside. So what is the best way to get cable to the front of the unit? I will mount the satellite close to the rear and drop cable down to the entertainment center next to the fireplace. But then how do I get cable to the front?

This is not my area of expertise, but I follow instructions real well. Any help would be appreciated. :D

edatlanta 02-02-2015 04:37 AM

The first thing I would do is to contact Jayco and get them to send you a wiring schematic for your a/v system. This way you will know for sure what your wiring looks like and where wiring is already run that you can use.

tnchuck100 02-02-2015 06:43 AM

There is something you may or may not have considered here. If you primarily go to race track or sporting events and commercial campgrounds where there are no trees to block your view of the piece of sky you will be looking at your should have no problem. However, if you generally use state parks and campgrounds where shade trees are predominant you will probably find you won't be able to use the satellite. When you are camping in these places you need a portable dish so you can position it where trees are not blocking the satellite signal.

Cheetah053 02-02-2015 05:11 PM

Thanks Ed. I don't know why I didn't think of that. They were closed today, probably due to all the snow they have but I plan to call again tomorrow.

Cheetah053 02-02-2015 05:14 PM

Most of our favorite campgrounds have a good view of the southern sky without much in the way. I do know what you mean though. We had a travel trailer before we bought our 5th wheel and we had a portable dish. We camped at one campground that was so wooded we couldn't get a clear view to the satellite no matter what we did.

Thanks for your advice.

Roy W. 02-02-2015 08:29 PM

Electric Wiring Diagram

I wrote Jayco and requested a electric wiring diagram for my 2014 33RLDS and they said they would not send me one as my unit is under warranty and I should be taking it to my dealer with any wiring problems.

namusmc65 02-03-2015 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy W. (Post 266661)
I wrote Jayco and requested a electric wiring diagram for my 2014 33RLDS and they said they would not send me one as my unit is under warranty and I should be taking it to my dealer with any wiring problems.

x2
NO way would Jayco send me any diagrams in regards to my unit until the warranty has expired. I was just trying to get the diagram for the television cable routing.

Trial and error is the way I figured it all out.

:lolhitsign::USA:

edatlanta 02-03-2015 06:17 AM

I didn't write to Jayco. I called them and persisted until I got to engineering. My unit was less than 30 days old and definitely still in warranty. I told them I was hooking up a satellite TV system and just needed to see which cables ran where. I found that an RG6 coax was already run to the bedroom TV and the color code was included in the schematic. It was a piece of cake to hook up.

I have read several times that they won't send the schematic while in warranty, but that isn't always the case. But my recommendation is call, don't write. I gave my email address to the engineering guy and I had the schematic in a few minutes.

It is very easy to say no when responding to an email or letter. It is much harder to say no to someone you are talking to, because the next question is "why won't you". Hard to answer.

Anyone interested in my schematic, PM me and I will email you a copy. It won't do a lot of good with your unit, but you might get an idea of how yours is set up.

skijlw 02-15-2015 10:13 PM

I found an easy way to make them all work. I called an installer and for a hundred bucks he had everything working with the wires already inside the trailer in about an hour. No exposed wires. Worth every penny and he even gave au some useful tips on resetting the dish locations.

Grumpy 02-16-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah053 (Post 266598)
Most of our favorite campgrounds have a good view of the southern sky without much in the way. I do know what you mean though. We had a travel trailer before we bought our 5th wheel and we had a portable dish. We camped at one campground that was so wooded we couldn't get a clear view to the satellite no matter what we did.

I still carry one of these,
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...FdgOgQodCUoAAg
and one of these to find the holes in the trees, came in very handy numerous times. Just use it free hand and not attached to the dish
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-finder/31690