Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Route options (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/route-options-25540.html)

chent 03-16-2015 11:09 AM

Route options

What do you think?

Opt1: Detroit- Illinois- Iowa- Nebraska- Colorado

Or a little more south

Opt2: Detroit- Indiana- Illinois- Missouri- Kansas- Colorado

I'm trying to map a route to get out to Colorado as fast as possible. We're traveling with a 6mo and 2yo so we will need to do 3-4 hr max drives with daytime entertainment stop overs, then maybe back on the road for another couple hrs before stopping for the night.

Which route has more options for places to stay that is also easy to cover distances?

Thanks for your help!

oldmanAZ 03-16-2015 12:54 PM

How about...
Sarnia, Lansing, Ft. Wayne, Indianapolis, St. Louis, then I-70 west to Denver. Avoids the Windsor/Detroit border crossing and the Chicago area traffic. It's about 200km longer than a shorter route that goes through the Chicago area.

North or south, lots of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas to cross with little to see except rolling prairie. Also, after you cross the Mississippi River heading west, the number of towns etc. decrease.

If you are driving primarily on the interstates, a copy of 'The Next Exit' could be very helpful. You'll what rest areas, restaurants, motels, etc. are along the route you pick.

chent 03-16-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanAZ (Post 279861)
How about...
Sarnia, Lansing, Ft. Wayne, Indianapolis, St. Louis, then I-70 west to Denver. Avoids the Windsor/Detroit border crossing and the Chicago area traffic. It's about 200km longer than a shorter route that goes through the Chicago area.

North or south, lots of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas to cross with little to see except rolling prairie. Also, after you cross the Mississippi River heading west, the number of towns etc. decrease.

If you are driving primarily on the interstates, a copy of 'The Next Exit' could be very helpful. You'll what rest areas, restaurants, motels, etc. are along the route you pick.

Great advice. Thanks oldmanAZ. I figured that'd be the case with prairie land, just wasn't sure when that starts. I also didn't even think of Sarnia. Thanks for that!!

Flyrotor 03-16-2015 02:34 PM

You may be surprised how well kids travel, I traveled several times from Boise to Grand Rapids when I was in college, my kids were real young at the time, but with some creative entertainment such as iPads, Leapfrog, Disney movies, etc, they may do better over two long days than spreading it out on too many days, I know each kid differs somewhat but maybe it'll work out for you, good luck

chent 03-16-2015 03:27 PM

Thanks flyrotor. We plan on testing that out too.