Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   something in ground while setting up trailer (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/something-in-ground-while-setting-up-trailer-26189.html)

Donedroolin 04-08-2015 05:00 PM

something in ground while setting up trailer

My buddy has a Keystone product, I won't hold it against him. But any way he was setting up his trailer in his front yard for guests. He was putting out his carpet and he decided to spike it down. Which we all do. Well low and behold cable is out to his house and some neighbors. The cable company comes out to investigate and they find one of his spikes hit a buried cable line that was only buried about 12 inches. They should be at least 18 inches. Got me thinking about how many spikes I have put in the ground at campsites. Makes you wonder what if there could be anything you could hit. Has anyone else hit anything.

Crabman 04-08-2015 05:06 PM

Never mind the spike, the fact that he had a Keystone alone could have knocked out power for the entire neighborhood. :lolhitsign:

NC Roamer 04-08-2015 05:07 PM

The CATV lines in this part of North Carolina are buried only about 2". I cut one planting a small bush a few years back.

nunyadamn 04-08-2015 05:21 PM

I use rocks or pieces of wood I carry with me. Not for this reason, but because the ground is usually too hard to pound into or too rocky.

Northern Jay 04-08-2015 06:08 PM

Wow. All that stuff is a minimum of 3-4 feet below ground here in Canada.
Must be a real pain trying to install landscape irrigation below the 49th. ;)

norty1 04-08-2015 06:15 PM

They usually avoid the area that a stake would be driven. Then dump a ton of rock so you can't put one anywhere it needs to be?

DieselX 04-08-2015 07:26 PM

I staked them down in North Dakota, and they froze to the ground. Had to throw them away as the ripped removing them. I forgot how expensive they were.

Bsikes 04-08-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabman (Post 288188)
Never mind the spike, the fact that he had a Keystone alone could have knocked out power for the entire neighborhood. :lolhitsign:

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are!:D

Donedroolin 04-09-2015 07:11 AM

Yes owning a Keystone may have done it. LOL. Your right trying to get the stakes in through the rocks is difficult. I have also bent up many stakes. I also have tried putting something on the corners , but that becomes a trip hazard. Sometimes you can only get the spikes in halfway and they are trip hazards. I had to once leave a chair at each corner. There was no way getting a spike in, after destroying 3 of them that was my solution.

Scoutr2 04-09-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabman (Post 288188)

Hey! No Keystone bashing!! I had a Keystone Outback for nine years and didn't have a single problem with it, except the pump, when I first brought it home. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it - no questions asked.

IMO, Keystone Outbacks are great trailers. They just didn't have any layouts I liked this time around.