Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   What is this Doo-Hicky on Battery (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/what-is-this-doo-hicky-on-battery-26471.html)

wbarnes 04-18-2015 04:50 PM

What is this Doo-Hicky on Battery
1 Attachment(s)

I just bought a travel trailer and noticed this doo-hicky on one of the power leads coming from the battery. Can anyone tell me what this is. I don't think it is an in-line fuse as there is already one of those inline as well.

Pic Attached.


Dirkdaddy 04-18-2015 05:12 PM

That's just a wire connector to go from one wire to another, its waterproof type. Notice the wire changes color.

norty1 04-18-2015 05:22 PM

Wire splice, aka doohickey!

peobey 04-19-2015 05:24 AM

Wire splice for your electric jack.

Tunce the traveler 04-19-2015 05:34 AM


Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy (Post 291695)
That's just a wire connector to go from one wire to another, its waterproof type. Notice the wire changes color.

X2. And your electric brakes have the same connectors on the back.

THE MEEKER 04-19-2015 05:42 AM

The "Doo Hickey" is where the 30 amp fuse is for the power tongue jack. Lift the small black tab on top and you will see it. Pull out to replace. Always have spare fuses handy as you will blow some on this jack from time to time.

Mustang65 04-19-2015 09:26 AM

I do not think you will find a fuse in that rubber boot. The one on my trailer is in the 4x4 electrical box on the frame and is used to connect the brakes to the break-away switch (as mentioned by Tunce the Traveler). They usually only use that type for wire connectors. Open it up and take a look.

My question would be, where does the other end of the black wire go? If it goes to the tongue jack, is there an inline fuse between that connector and the tongue jack? If not go to an auto parts store and get a 30 amp inline weather-proof fuse holder and a few 30 amp replacement fuses, sooner or later you will blow a fuse.

Just my thoughts,


NVGun40 04-19-2015 10:31 AM

^^ what he said.

rryman 04-19-2015 11:36 AM

I think you will find that the thing covering the splice is called a "Wrap Cap". Used sometimes instead of taping the connection. It's a lot quicker than taping, and it's more easily removeable, but not sure it's approved for wet locations, but not that big an issue with 12v.

Mustang65 04-20-2015 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the "CRIMP" connector that was in my "wrap cap". It was a good thing that I was doing a SOLAR/BATTERY upgrade/rewire project and I happened to be redoing the 4x4 electrical box mounted to the frame by the tongue. I pulled the wires out of the box to get a better look at the mess of wires in it and I pulled the wrap cap and the blue wire came out of it. That is the wire from the "Break-away" switch. I then opened the cap and the wire that goes to the TT's brakes came out of the connector. Not good!!!

It seems that the JAYCO person in charge of crimping wires that day, did not eat their Cheerios. I heard from a few other people that they encountered the same thing.

Just my thoughts,


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.