Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   General Jayco RV Chat (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Electric Surge Protectors (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/electric-surge-protectors-26654.html)

DJ-Camper 04-25-2015 07:20 AM

Electric Surge Protectors

When we picked up our 2014 Jay feather 213X at Camping world They highly recommended a 30 amp surge protector. I do understand the need but the unit was $260!
What brand or model would be recommended here?

Thanks,

TWP723 04-25-2015 07:29 AM

Progressive Industries. Search Amazon for it. They have a couple different ones. Hardwired or hang-on.

jayfowler 04-25-2015 07:29 AM

Lots of posts on the forum to search on surge protection. A couple popular ones on the market are Surge Guard or Progressive Industries. I went with Progressive Industries. Yes $260 might seem like a lot now but think of it like an insurance policy. If you gamble with no surge protection and have a problem the damage to your unit will cost far more than that.

havnfun 04-25-2015 07:34 AM

X2 on Progressive Industries. Tweety.com and Dyersonline.com have the best prices that I have found....around $245 with free shipping and no tax.
Happy RVing,
Jeff

Wrascal 04-25-2015 08:18 AM

I ordered/received the PI 30 amp portable ($245 Tweety's.com) earlier this month. Plugged it up on arrival. Then several days of severe weather and it was blown. Sent it off to PI and received it back one week later (yesterday), all covered by warranty; and again working like a champ.

I feel that it was a good save, had that strike got inside the camper there's no telling how much damage it could have caused.

NOTE: The $80 unit protects only against surges. The $260 unit protects against many additional power problems. Read the literature carefully before going cheap. Another selling point: the PI units are the only ones made in the USA and carry a lifetime warranty.

PI - Progressive Industries

Camping Couple 04-25-2015 08:23 AM

I paid $224.00 with free shipping on Amazon 3 weeks ago. Hard wired version.

sailor 04-25-2015 08:28 AM

Hopefully this is something you will never need (just like insurance). It probably is not worth the risk to not use one. We have been protected from low voltage situations a few times. Look at the EMS units from Progressive Industries or Surge Guard. They do more than just surge protection. Based on the price you mention I think you are looking at the EMS units.

3'senough 04-25-2015 09:02 AM

PI EMS 30 A in your case. I have a 50A hardwire with the remote display. That's about the cost, but since your buying a trailer see if they will mount it for you FOC.

As stated, very good investment especially with the sensitive electonics we both have and carry.

clubhouse 04-25-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ-Camper (Post 294155)
When we picked up our 2014 Jay feather 213X at Camping world They highly recommended a 30 amp surge protector. I do understand the need but the unit was $260!
What brand or model would be recommended here?

Thanks,

First of all there is a huge difference between a surge protector and an electrical management system (EMS). For $260 you are likely talking about an EMS. An EMS will protect against electric surge, but more importantly it will protect against high/low voltage, mis-wired pedestals, bad ground connection, etc.

I use the SurgeGuard 30a portable EMS. Have had it for several years now, I have encountered several low voltage situations where the EMS shut off power to protect my TT.

Progressive Industries seems to be the preferred unit on this forum. A lot has to do with their customer service. I have not had a need to contact TRC (SurgeGuard) customer service so I can't comment on it. However the device has been great. If you are getting one I would confirm that it is a complete EMS, not surge only, then I would feel comfortable buying either manufacturer depending on where you find the better deal.

Seann45 04-26-2015 07:42 AM

I have been happy with my surge guard.. yep they are not cheap but it is better than blowing the TV, microwave etc when your plugged in.