Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Fifth Wheels (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   a high pitch squeal (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/a-high-pitch-squeal-27673.html)

bluesquiral 05-30-2015 08:25 AM

a high pitch squeal

Have a new 375bhfs and every once in a while especially in the morning there is a high pitch squeal you here from the electrical panel behind the chair. Turn off the power converter breaker and it stops. Any suggestions.

hoppers4 05-30-2015 08:59 AM

It's the fan for the converter. They're rather noisy. We have to put up with this occasional noise while we're in bed as our converter is under our bed. It's a definite annoyance that I don't have an answer for.

ALJO 05-30-2015 01:26 PM

If they are sleeve bearing fans they need to be oiled once a year (or at least when they start to squeak). Most of the time when the fan runs awhile the squeak goes away.
Ball bearing fans are life time (and don't have that squeak).

Cosmik Debris 05-30-2015 01:47 PM

replacing the fan

I keep thinking that I want to check to see if that noisy little fan is replaceable, and whether a quality, quiet computer fan would go in there. Now may be a good time to see.

SmokerBill 05-30-2015 02:55 PM

It might be worth a shot to give the converter manufacturer a call and explain the situation. It's possible you could get a free replacement if they deem yours to be faulty.

hoppers4 05-30-2015 06:49 PM

Cosmik, be careful replacing the converter fan with a computer fan. I found out the hard way that the computer fans are much more susceptible to voltage variation and failure. I installed a computer fan in the outside vent of my fridge (twice) until I was told about computer fans being pickier about voltage and not good for an automotive application.

DustyGeek 05-30-2015 08:21 PM

Our old trailer had a squeal periodically from the (WFCO) converter. It was barely audible (e.g., the air conditioner or furnace would easily down it out), but it was definitely not the cooling fan running or the cooling fan going bad.

I noticed it primarily when we first plugged in after setting up camp. It didn't always happen and seemed to require a particular level of load on it, probably charging the battery after and a few lights, but not much else. It didn't seem to affect anything during the 70 nights we used the trailer over the past few years.

If that sounds about right, you can likely ignore it as well.

3'senough 05-31-2015 12:45 PM

It's not the fan, but electronic from the converter. It occurs when you go into full charge or just above float. In the float mode there is no noise or minimal right?

You need to warranty your converter. I had mine done last year, as it was unbearable. Easiest way to confirm this is by loading the 12v system when plugged into 120V then once it reaches a squeal flip the converter breaker off. The squeal should go right away.

There must have been a bad batch of transformers.

NC Roamer 05-31-2015 01:48 PM

Tinnitus means you learn to ignore, as best you can, high pitched squeals. :(

bluesquiral 05-31-2015 02:46 PM

I did that and the noise stops as soon as i shut the breaker off. I will call the dealer tomorrow and talk to them. Thanks.