Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   General Jayco RV Chat (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Keeping cool, boondocking (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/keeping-cool-boondocking-28550.html)

LoveCamping58 06-29-2015 07:37 PM

Keeping cool, boondocking

I tried searching and haven't found a similar question. If there is similar discussions please let me know. We were boondock camping this past weekend and it was really hot out. I am looking for a way to help keep our 5w cool. I left windows open all night, and closed them during the day, but it still got very toasty. I am wondering if the fabric shades that are in the 5w aren't sufficient or what. I was hoping it would stay cooler as Jayco boasts the climate shield. Any tips out there? Thanks in advance.

Jmooney 06-29-2015 08:19 PM

We have home made blackout " flap" curtains to further block out sunlight.

12 v DC fan to get some air moving

Cold beer

dennis b 06-29-2015 09:12 PM

Go naked!

oldmanAZ 06-29-2015 09:16 PM

They have widow covering material that is reflective to help keep the sun out to reduce the day time heat build up. Covering the windows, skylights, and vents with that kind of material may help.

There are a number of 12 volt fans that move A LOT of air. Using those when the outside temp drops will help. Of course if you are boondocking for a number of days, you will have to plan on those draining your battery(s).

The insulation package helps (I hope, I have that, too!) but the trailer isn't insulated like, say, a refrigerator.

Of course camping in higher elevations and in the shade will be a BIG help, too.

LoveCamping58 06-29-2015 09:57 PM

Thank you jmooney. I will have to look into the curtains. I have a small fan that runs on 'd' batteries that I move to wherever I am. I just tried a magnet on window frames and apparently not metal lol, was going to sew the magnets into the curtains. Now will have to figure out another way to attach the curtains. And hubby likes the cold beer, on the hot days margaritas work well too!

Thanks oldmanAZ, I may get some of that for the vents and skylights. Do the maxair vent covers help?

And Dennis b, when its hot that doesn't help, lol.

Rustic Eagle 06-29-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmooney (Post 316641)
snip.......12 v DC fan to get some air moving.......snip

X2

I use a 12V "Endless Breeze" box fan, quiet, and has a low amp draw with 3 settings (1.2 amp - 2.6 amp). On those muggy nights boondocking I set it on low and let it move the air around the TT all night.

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Stand Alone Fans

Shop around, I see them for around $60.

Bob :)

KYCAMPER 06-30-2015 09:13 AM

DW attached adhesive backed Velcro to the window frames. Holds coverings quite well.

mike837go 06-30-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis b (Post 316664)
Go naked!

And plenty of cool drinks.

Mustang65 07-01-2015 09:27 PM

We have the silver solar shields for the windows and DW just picked up a bunch of suction cups with hooks on them to hold the shields in place against the widows. They keep most of the window heat from coming into the TT. We also have (2) multi-speed 12VDC fans we use.
Don

Shorty Cox 07-02-2015 08:00 AM

Not to be a horse's A$$, but, I always have to ask. Why purchase a camper with all the amenities, then go boondocking? If one has to go without, elect, water, and sewer, take a tent!

After saying that, I think Dennis & Mike have the best idea, except you will need plenty of cool drinks for your camping neighbors in order to "go naked"!!!!!!!

Shorty