Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Fifth Wheels (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Nitrogen filled tires and summer heat (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/nitrogen-filled-tires-and-summer-heat-29131.html)

LegalEagle 07-19-2015 07:50 PM

Nitrogen filled tires and summer heat

We are leaving this week for a 1300 mile trip west to California. Although I would prefer not to travel with the fifth wheel in the heat of July/August, it is for a family anniversary so I've got no choice. My question is this: We are taking I-40 to minimize the heat as much as possible, and will hopefully cross the desert in the early morning hours. But my new 323LKTS was purchased in March. The tires are filled with nitrogen, according to the dealer. What effect does tires filled with nitrogen have in the heat? I assume nitrogen would make them expand in heat more than regular old air. And what do I do if I need some topping off pressure wise on the trip? I don't think I can put air into a nitrogen filled tire, can I?

SmokerBill 07-19-2015 07:57 PM

The pressure doesn't vary as much with nitrogen than with regular air. I think that's one of its selling points. You're in good shape. Enjoy the trip!

Camping Couple 07-19-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalEagle (Post 323406)
We are leaving this week for a 1300 mile trip west to California. Although I would prefer not to travel with the fifth wheel in the heat of July/August, it is for a family anniversary so I've got no choice. My question is this: We are taking I-40 to minimize the heat as much as possible, and will hopefully cross the desert in the early morning hours. But my new 323LKTS was purchased in March. The tires are filled with nitrogen, according to the dealer. What effect does tires filled with nitrogen have in the heat? I assume nitrogen would make them expand in heat more than regular old air. And what do I do if I need some topping off pressure wise on the trip? I don't think I can put air into a nitrogen filled tire, can I?

Nitrogen is an inert gas. It will not expand or contract. If you need to add air, go for it. At this point you should keep an eye on your pressures as adding air will now affect the the pressures with heat.

eldermike 07-19-2015 08:10 PM

Air is 78 precent nitrogen.

SouthCo 07-19-2015 08:12 PM

I laugh while reading this. Tires and heat have been around for awhile. Regular air is fine. Keep them aired up and don't overload. You don't need nitrogen. Yes you can add regular air to nitrogen filled tires but then why pay extra for nitrogen in the first place.

rjackson 07-19-2015 08:16 PM

nitrogen does expand and contract with temperture if you want the real reason they use nitrogen is it's dry, while "AIR" has moisture which does make expansion more erratic due to different % of moisture in the air. Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

Murff 07-19-2015 08:19 PM

If i put helium in my tires, can I haul a bigger load since the helium is lighter?

:scratchhead:

Murff

Jagiven 07-19-2015 08:30 PM

If you need to top them off, you can just add regular old air. No big deal.

SmokerBill 07-19-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murff (Post 323419)
If i put helium in my tires, can I haul a bigger load since the helium is lighter?

:scratchhead:

Murff

That just gives a whole new meaning to "balloon tires".

tjpolsin 07-19-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokerBill (Post 323444)
That just gives a whole new meaning to "balloon tires".

How would you add sway control to counter the up/down bouncing??

I don't think this is the type of "4-way" sway control Equalizer had in mind.