Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Non-inverter style generator use (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/non-inverter-style-generator-use-29314.html)

SkyBound 07-26-2015 05:43 AM

Non-inverter style generator use

I have a HomeLite 3500/3000W generator that I bought from Home Depot a few years ago to use around our property. I am wondering if it's safe to use this on my trailer since a nice inverter style isn't in this year's budget.

I understand the whole noise thing, but I'm concerned about the power output not being clean enough (like an inverter generator) for the onboard electronics in my trailer. The generator does have a 30amp RV style plug on it.

Will this be OK for use? Is there a way I can test the "cleanliness" of the AC power output?

tnchuck100 07-26-2015 05:50 AM

Your air conditioner will probably survive OK. Your entertainment center and appliance control electronics should be OK, it uses 12V and has the converter to filter out the "dirty" wave form. Your 120VAC television or your computer or your phone charger may not fair as well.

If it is a construction grade generator "dirty" is a given.

SkyBound 07-26-2015 05:58 AM

It's mostly for Air Conditioner use and also to recharge the battery when it's low. I don't have a television in the trailer just yet either.

Homelite 3,000-Watt Gasoline Powered Generator-DISCONTINUED-HGCA3000 - The Home Depot

Not sure if this is a construction grade?

tnchuck100 07-26-2015 06:02 AM

That appears to be construction grade. One noisy sucker too. Any close neighbors will not be happy. But it should handle what you describe OK.

mike837go 07-27-2015 11:54 AM

No TV. That one non-existent problem.

The microwave is the only other issue. It'll sound funny but will work OK.

The fridge will cutover when you fire up the genset. It too, will be fine.

As tnchuck100 mentioned, all of the 12VDC stuff will be fine, since the converter drops the voltage and sends out clean DC. The battery charging will be fine too.

SmokerBill 07-27-2015 12:52 PM

To charge your electronics, get a smaller inverter you can plug into a 12vdc outlet. I've used a modified sine wave inverter, 800watts, that's worked fine for charging my Macbook and phone and for watching the tv. However, many recommend a pure sine wave inverter (much more expensive) to prevent any fussy electronics needs.

RoyBraddy 07-27-2015 02:21 PM

Be sure to check with your campgrounds the rules for running a generator. Most public camp grounds will have generator run time restrictions.

We only use our generator to recharge our battery bank when camping off the power grid... Everything we want running either runs off a INVERTER or direct connected to the battery bank... This of course does not include the air conditioner or microwave unit haha...

Just wante to bring up you may not be allowed to run your generator when YOU want to because of the run time restrictions in place. This of course will most likely fall into another rule of disturbing your neighbor campers due to the very loud generator you will be using...

Roy Ken

BigJohnD 07-27-2015 03:30 PM

I think for the intended purpose you'll be fine. We have a Champion 4k non-inverter type on the back of our rig now. Louder than an inverter type, quieter than others I've heard. Only run it for emergencies, running AC during a lunch stop at a rest stop or running AC enroute etc. I also own 2 Honda 2000 inverter generators used on previous rigs. Yep, they're quiet, and great, BUT, nobody wants to steal the Champion generator. Honda's walk too easy, regardless of how good a box you build or how you secure them, therefore they aren't on this RV. Running down the road, who cares what the db is.

SkyBound 07-28-2015 07:35 AM

Yes this will not be used within the boundaries of any campground, I assure you. I am very considerate of noise in proximity to others. I just needed to know if the power was clean enough to run the AC before my little one goes to bed if it's too hot, or if my dual 6Vs get to 50% before I was planning on it.

Is there an in-line device out there that will clean up the power before it goes into the trailer? Like an in-line filter?