Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Small leak (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/small-leak-30162.html)

chrismoore701 08-24-2015 11:07 AM

Small leak

Looks like I may have a small leak in the front of my trailer. I have a 2010 297 BHS and the PO put carpet in the front storage compartment. I drove home yesterday in a pretty hard rain for about 45 min or so and the carpet inside the storage compartment is just damp, not dripping. I am thinking maybe some rain was driven up under the siding. Does this make sense and is there anything I should do about it? Maybe just something to dry it out?
Thanks
Chris

Jagiven 08-24-2015 11:56 AM

Could be from a few areas, also check the storage hatch seal, I had one that leaked. New gasket, and the leak was gone.

chrismoore701 08-24-2015 12:44 PM

No its not the side panels, the leak is right in the middle of the trailer

chrismoore701 08-27-2015 05:13 AM

Any other thoughts?

chrismoore701 08-28-2015 05:10 AM

Should I worry about this

mike837go 08-28-2015 06:23 AM

Yes, you should worry about it.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to tear a whole lot of your trailer apart to find the source.

You've got where the water is puddling, now where is the crack/hole/separation that is letting the water in?

You can start with resealing every joint from the roof to the frame for the front 1/3 of your trailer and hope you got it.

Jagiven 08-28-2015 07:34 AM

I would go through check you caulking everywhere. Start at the roof and work your way down. If the front aluminum siding has a dent, be suspicious of the paneling in that area. If you have diamond plate across the front check the caulking at the transition. You stated you were driving so check for places like under the TT along the leading edge for any gaps from flexing of the panels.
If the caulking is cracked, badly bubbled, separated in anyway, it’s time to re-caulk. You should check it every six months. My HTT is now 3 years old, last year I found a few spots that needed touching up. I expect this fall, when I inspect I will have a number of areas on the roof that need to be re-caulked.

TWP723 08-28-2015 07:52 AM

There are dyes you can buy that are detectable with ultra violet light. I used a old Miracle Gro container (the kind that screws onto the hose) and added the dye. Drenched my pop-up and found the leak that way. Not saying this will work under your circumstance but it's definately an option. If you want to fix it yourself, that is.

chrismoore701 08-28-2015 11:36 AM

I am thinking it is between a lap joint of the siding. What do you think about caulking all the joints?

TWP723 08-28-2015 12:34 PM

Sounds about right to me. I use Dap Alex Plus Clear. Works awesome. I've sealed all my windows on my house with this stuff. It cleans up really easy. I'd use a caulk tool though. Never use your finger.