Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Camp Cooking (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   How to use your RV oven for everything (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f27/how-to-use-your-rv-oven-for-everything-33170.html)

rodro123 01-30-2016 09:29 AM

How to use your RV oven for everything

This is a very complete guide to your RV oven for cooking anything you cook in your brick and mortar house oven.

RV oven cooking like your at your stick house - Rods RV Needs

Jagiven 01-30-2016 10:05 AM

I have not heard of anything.

Two things I have found, if I have the rack is at the lowest level, the bottom will over cook. To solve this, I'll put a small cookie sheet on top of the deflector. Some people use a pizza stone. This really helps, If whatever I am baking will fit I use the upper rack level.

Hattie 01-30-2016 11:42 AM

Try this one out if you want success with a "test" recipe for your RV oven
Breakfast Casserole: Serves 8
8-12 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 - 16oz package/roll of refrigerated flaky biscuit dough (e.g., Pillsbury flaky biscuit roll) cut into quarters
1-1/2 cup grated cheese (sharp cheddar)
4 sliced green onions
6-8 slices of bacon cooked/drained in 1" pieces (sausages also work well, meat can be pre-cooked at home)
You may wish to add additional items (e.g., chopped chilies, sautéed mushrooms)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Beat eggs and milk
3) Fold in the rest of the ingredients (make sure the biscuit pieces are coated)
4) Pour into a lightly-greased 9x12 casserole
5) Bake for 25-30 minutes

SmokerBill 01-30-2016 12:27 PM

Instead of using a conventional thermometer inside the oven to monitor the temperature, I use a remote thermometer. These have a probe at the end of a cable, which attaches to a digital readout unit. The probe can be attached to the rack with wire, attached so the probe tip isn't touching metal. The oven door can be closed on the cable. The rubber door seal makes a tight fit around the cable.

Using this type of thermometer, there's no temperature loss, and subsequent reheating needed when checking the temperature, as would be when using a standard thermometer.

BeenCamping40+Years 02-19-2016 06:12 PM

I've made the breakfast casserole that Hattie posted and it is delicious.

I have used my RV oven a lot over the years, even baked cakes that turned out great. Setting the oven temp about 25 degrees lower than what is called for seems to work well for me.

tuckerdog1 02-19-2016 08:53 PM

Thanks for the link. May have saved us a ruined meal or two.

Tuckerdog1

namusmc65 02-20-2016 07:04 AM

I just cook breakfast outside on my trusty coleman two burner stove. Hardly do any cooking in or on the stove with all the grills and stoves outside. More fun too. But that recipe does sound delicious!

Witt74 07-05-2016 09:02 PM

Gee, we just keep bread and other stuff in our oven

Camper_bob 07-06-2016 09:32 AM

Anyone know if that breakfast casserole can be assembled ahead of time and just thrown in the oven in the morning?

It's not often that we have that much time in the morning before our son turns into a ravenous monster. And he's a toddler, so "reasoning" with him is of little help.

Loosenuts 07-08-2016 01:47 PM

Cook in the trailer? My wife would kill me.
In our old trailer I think we heated some cream cheese and chili dip one time in the oven and I got away with cooking a frozen pizza once because it was raining outside. Otherwise we cook outdoors. I doubt she'll even let me light the pilot light in the new trailer.

1) Food taste better cooked outside. Don't know why but it does!
2) I don't want to wake up in the morning and smell dinner still lingering in the trailer.
3) I don't want to have to clean up the trailer!

It's either grilled or cooked in an electric skillet. Or the occasional crock pot meal (great when you're camping, let it cook all day while your doing your thing) but even that is outside.

Maybe she'll let me get an outdoor oven?