Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Jayco Travel Trailers (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   setting up after winter....battery (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/setting-up-after-winter-battery-34000.html)

lukenick1 03-05-2016 04:33 PM

setting up after winter....battery

Hi all,
This was my first winter with my new to me travel trailer. I removed the battery in the fall and have had it on a table in my basement all winter. How can I get it going again? Can I jump start it by hooking up jumpers cables to my tow vehicle's battery? Will it charge if the TT is hooked up to shore power?

SouthCo 03-05-2016 04:41 PM

It should charge when the TT is hooked to shore power. Probably wouldn't hurt to buy a smart charger to plug it in to once in awhile off-season. I have a CTEK 7002 that I use on a few things including my trailer battery when it's being stored in the garage...

Stingray75 03-05-2016 04:50 PM

A $30 battery tender hooked to the battery over the winter will keep it ready to go when you're ready. Also good to have year round if your trailer sits a while between use.

Lolead 03-05-2016 07:12 PM

Another vote for a Battery Tender. The battery in our Gold Wing was 8 years old when I replaced it and I had always kept it on a tender when not riding. The old battery was still good but we were going on a long trip so I replaced it just for peace of mind. The tender will help prevent sulfation which is a battery killer.

lukenick1 03-05-2016 07:31 PM

I worry about leaving something plugged in all the time like that.

ALJO 03-05-2016 08:02 PM

Don't worry be happy! It is safe to leave the TT or things plugged in. If it would be a hazard it would be pulled of the market.

BCx213 03-05-2016 10:40 PM

When you are storing the battery for the winter, you need to check on it regularly and charge if necessary or use a battery tender on it. If you allow the battery to deplete it's charge and stay dead, it will sulphate the battery rendering it useless and you will end up buying a new battery. I have a smart charger that I use to keep my batteries charged.

lukenick1 03-06-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCx213 (Post 383583)
When you are storing the battery for the winter, you need to check on it regularly and charge if necessary or use a battery tender on it. If you allow the battery to deplete it's charge and stay dead, it will sulphate the battery rendering it useless and you will end up buying a new battery. I have a smart charger that I use to keep my batteries charged.

Oh geez....I hope it's not too late :(

Paintinfool3 03-06-2016 10:26 AM

I usually store mine inside and just put it on a 2 amp charge for a couple of days to bring it up to a full charge before I reinstall it in the camper.

lukenick1 03-06-2016 10:37 AM

My battery was brand new and has been sitting in my basement up on a table dead since late November. I hope it's not ruined. I just got a portable battery charger and hooked it up. I hope it charges.