Jayco RV Owners Forum

Jayco RV Owners Forum (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/)
-   Welcome Mat (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Please help. (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f22/please-help-34538.html)

gettleshtetl 03-25-2016 09:45 PM

Please help.

Please help. We just bought a Jayco Quest. Is it possible to use the heater and fridge whiteout plugging in to 110? If so, how?

Stingray75 03-25-2016 09:57 PM

Not sure what year Quest you bought but guessing there's little difference. Here's a link to an owners manual - look at page 49 & 51

http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...lename_121.pdf

The answer to your question is yes. You need a charged 12v battery and propane to make it all work.

Welcome to JOF

gettleshtetl 03-25-2016 10:32 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I read through that section in the manual and am still very confused. I'm pretty technically adept (woodworker, welder, mechanic). My Jayco is 15 years old and the manual I have is different. I also only have two switches on my trailer. I think one is for gas and one for electric.

The heater and fridge just work when I plug it into to my house 110. But I can't figure out how to make the stove, heater or fridge work unless it is plugged in. I know it must be simple. Maybe a fuse or breaker? I don't know where they are located.

I also can't get the stove or BBQ to work ever, either plunged in or just with gas.

I love thew trailer but am so sad that I can't use the fridge, heater, stove, grill or water. It's been six months and I can't figure it out. Leaving Sunday.

Jmooney 03-25-2016 10:54 PM

Make sure the propane valves on the tanks are open.

Turn on a burner on the stove and give it 20 seconds or so to get propane to flow through the hoses.

Does the stove have an electronic lighter ( clicker )?

You don't need any power at all to make a burner on the stove work

Jmooney 03-25-2016 10:56 PM

All three, heater, stove and fridge, all need propane to operate.
The furnace fan may run without propane, but no heat

The heater and fridge also need 12 VDc from the battery.

Let's rule,out propane first

Jmooney 03-25-2016 10:57 PM

If you are getting propane at the stove, you should be able to smell it.

Jmooney 03-25-2016 11:00 PM

Next up is the battery supply. A few things to look for

The battery may have a disconnect switch. Usually close to battery location

There is almost always a fuse very close to the battery

The battery is charged by a converter. This is usually located behind a plastic cover ( mine is down low by the furnace )

Your AC breakers and DC fuses are usually located in this same panel

Also check the battery cable connections, including the negative cable, which goes from the battery terminal and connects to a ground lug on the trailer frame, usually within a few feet. Check that connection as well

RAurand 03-26-2016 07:05 AM

Is the fridge igniter working? When you disconnect from 110, you should hear the igniter trying to light the pilot light for the fridge.

Do the lights on the trailer work when running on battery power?

gettleshtetl 03-26-2016 10:19 AM

The fridge igniter does not seem to work with propane. The lights do not work when the switch in the refrigerator compartment is switched to 12V. There is no battery disconnect switch. Battery is well grounded. I don't see any fuses or breakers. There is no propane at the stove.

There is a sticker in the igniter compartment that says the fridge should only be run when the battery is charging. Does this mean the fridge does not run on propane alone?

So confused and frustrated.

norty1 03-26-2016 10:28 AM

Did you state your rig is 15 years old? In order to give any intelligent info, the model and make need to be known. In those days some fridges did not even have auto ignitors.

IMO, you are asking in the right but you may have waited to long to address the problems for this trip.

You may have to use it as you have been and get some rv repairperson out to give you a hand. A 15 year old rig may need a good going over.

If you have the make and model, there is all kinds of info online.